alert - warning

This page has not been translated into Italiano. Visit the Italiano page for resources in that language.

Individuals and Households Program

FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program (IHP) provides financial and direct services to eligible individuals and households affected by a disaster, who have uninsured or under-insured necessary expenses and serious needs. IHP assistance is not a substitute for insurance and cannot compensate for all losses caused by a disaster. The assistance is intended to meet your basic needs and supplement disaster recovery efforts.

man and woman signing

FEMA is committed to providing equal access to disaster recovery resources and assistance. Let FEMA know if you or anyone in your household has a disability or language need.

IHP Assistance may include:

The Privacy Act requires FEMA to obtain written consent from the applicant in order to share their disaster assistance records with a third party. Applicants who wish to authorize FEMA to share their information with a third party must complete the FEMA FORM FF-104-FY-21-118: Authorization for the Release of Information Under the Privacy Act and return it to FEMA.

Learn About FEMA Housing Assistance

alert - info

Applicants in need of Continued Temporary Housing Assistance may request additional assistance by completing FEMA Form FF-104-FY-21-115: Application for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance and return it to FEMA along with supporting documentation.

feature_standalone img

Other Assistance Programs

In addition to housing, FEMA has other Individual Assistance programs designed to support disaster survivors, such as Disaster Unemployment Assistance, Crisis Counseling, Disaster Legal Services and more.

Apply For Assistance

Below are the actions you should take to start your recovery process:

  • Take photos of your damaged home and belongings for your own records.
  • Make a list of damaged/lost items which may be helpful when working with your insurance or discussing your losses with a FEMA inspector.
  • Save yourself time.   If you have insurance that covers the damage that occurred, you must file a claim with your insurance company and you will be required to provide FEMA your insurance settlement or denial before being considered for most FEMA assistance.  You do not have to file you claim prior to applying for assistance.

Internet or Smartphone Application

You may apply for the Individuals and Households Program or check your application status at You may also access FEMA via a smartphone by downloading the application from our website or through your mobile provider’s application store.

By Phone

You may call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-3362 to apply for assistance or check your application status.

If you use video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA your number for that service.

In Person

You may visit a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center (DRC). To look up DRC locations:

Disaster Survivor Assistance team members may also visit door-to-door in your area. They will have official FEMA photo identification.

By Mail or Fax

You may mail updates to your application by mail or by fax.

Mail To:

P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055

Fax To:

Attn: FEMA

Documents You Need to Provide to FEMA

  • Insurance determination letter. (Note: FEMA cannot provide assistance for losses that are covered by insurance.)
  • Proof of occupancy or ownership
  • Proof of ID