Direct Housing Recipients Must Comply with Licensing Agreements

Release Date:
January 11, 2024

Hurricane Idalia survivors who have been approved for Temporary Housing Units may stay in FEMA provided units for up to 18 months from the date of the disaster declaration while securing a permanent housing solution. They must, however, follow the terms and conditions of their Revocable License or Temporary Housing Agreement with FEMA.

Complying with the License Agreement

  • Only people listed on the license can live in the property, and the license cannot be transferred to another party. FEMA retains the right to enter the unit to make inspections or repairs with 24-hour’s notice. In case of an emergency, no notice is required.
  • The licensing agreement requires occupants to develop a viable permanent or longer-term housing plan and show proof of progress towards completion of that plan. If long-term housing becomes available, the occupants may need to vacate the property. 
  • All occupants of temporary housing must fully cooperate with FEMA to schedule meetings that will determine their continued eligibility. This includes providing a landowner’s right of entry so FEMA can visit the occupants’ damaged home to evaluate the progress of repairs.
  • Eligibility meetings will confirm that occupants are making progress toward a permanent housing plan. Examples of evidence of progress include receipts for repairs or a signed lease for new housing.
  • Occupants are not allowed to store or use grills, fire pits, fireworks, propane tanks or other combustible substances inside the unit. 
  • Up to two pets are allowed. 
  • Occupants may not paint or alter the interior or exterior appearance of the unit. However, small adjustments that qualify as normal wear and tear, like putting small nails in the wall to hang picture frames, are allowed.
  • Survivors living in commercial parks must follow all the park’s rules and regulations.
  • Violations of these or any other conditions in the licensing agreement may result in penalty fees or termination of the agreement. 
  • Survivors who have questions about their temporary housing agreement or revocable license should contact their caseworker or the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362.

For the latest information on Florida’s recovery from Hurricane Idalia, visit and Follow FEMA on X, formerly known as Twitter, at and at

Last updated