Hazard mitigation is any sustainable action that reduces or eliminates long-term risk to people and property from future disasters. Mitigation planning breaks the cycle of disaster damage, reconstruction and repeated damage. Hazard mitigation includes long-term solutions that reduce the impact of disasters in the future.
FEMA's hazard mitigation assistance provides funding for eligible mitigation measures that reduce disaster losses. It also:
- Reduces vulnerability of communities to disasters and their effects.
- Promotes individual and community safety and their ability to adapt to changing conditions and withstand and rapidly recover from disruption due to emergencies (resilience).
- Promotes community vitality after a disaster.
- Lessens response and recovery resource requirements after a disaster.
- Results in safer communities that are less reliant on external financial assistance.
Hazard Mitigation Assistance Guidance
Access resources to help interpret federal statutes, regulations and best practice about mitigation strategies.
Subscribe to Hazard Mitigation Assistance email updates.
Available Grants - FEMA Administered
FEMA Hazard Mitigation Assistance has five grant programs.
Assists in implementing long-term hazard mitigation planning and projects following a Presidential major disaster declaration.
Assistance available to help communities implement hazard mitigation measures after wildfire disasters.
Provides funds for planning and projects to reduce or eliminate risk of flood damage to buildings that are insured annually under the National Flood Insurance Program.
Support for states, local communities, tribes and territories as they undertake hazard mitigation projects, reducing the risks they face from disasters and natural hazards.
Provides funds annually for hazard mitigation planning and projects.
- State Hazard Mitigation Officers
- FEMA GO Templates and Resources
- Mitigation eGrants System User Guides and Resources
Hazard Mitigation Assistance Division Year in Review
The FEMA Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA) Division is located in the Mitigation Directorate of the Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration. Their vision is to be a driver for resilience through partnerships and mitigation investments, and their mission is to design, build, and nurture high-performing teams that promote and deliver risk reduction programs.
This document provides an overview of the activities and accomplishments over the course of the year. It also highlights success stories that demonstrate how the HMA Division advances FEMA's strategic goals of building a culture of preparedness and readying the nation for catastrophic disaster through their grant programs.