Major Disaster Declaration declared on September 29, 2018
Individual Assistance Applications
Total Individual & Households Program
Dollars Approved: $1,011,549.70
Total Public Assistance Grants
Dollars Obligated: $4,685,590.54
Designated Counties (Individual Assistance):Rota (Municipality), Saipan (Municipality), Tinian (Municipality)
How to Apply
What to Bring with You
To ensure a faster, more efficient application process, obtain the following information PRIOR to heading to the nearest Disaster Assistance designated site:
- Social Security Number (one per household)
- Address of the damaged home or apartment
- Description of the damage
- Information about insurance coverage (ensure you obtain policy no. information)
- Telephone number
- Mailing address
- Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit of funds
The Declaration includes both Individual Assistance and Public Assistance to help people and communities recover from Typhoon Mangkhut.
Individual Assistance is provided by FEMA directly to eligible individuals and families who have sustained losses due to disasters.
Details regarding Individual Assistance:
- Homeowners and renters on the islands of Rota, Saipan and Tinian who sustained damage to their primary homes, vehicles and personal property as a result of Typhoon Mangkhut may apply for disaster assistance.
- Disaster assistance may include grants to help pay for temporary housing to include rental and lodging expense, emergency home repairs, uninsured and underinsured personal property losses, and medical, dental and funeral expenses caused by the disaster, along with other serious disaster-related expenses.
- Disaster assistance grants are not taxable income and will not affect eligibility for Social Security, Medicaid, medical waiver programs, welfare assistance, Temporary Assistance for Needy Families, food stamps, Supplemental Security Income or Social Security Disability Insurance.
- Low-interest disaster loans from the Small Business Administration (SBA) may be available for businesses of all sizes (including landlords), private non-profit organizations, homeowners and renters. Low-interest disaster loans help fund repairs or rebuilding efforts and cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged real estate and personal property. Economic Injury disaster loans are available to businesses and private nonprofits to assist with working capital needs as a direct result of the disaster.
- Federal assistance is geared towards residents who incurred uninsured losses specifically related to Typhoon Mangkhut. A home inspection is part of the eligibility process. Residents will be contacted shortly after registration to arrange home inspection appointments.
The *best* method to register for disaster assistance in the CNMI is by visiting your nearest Disaster Recovery Center to ensure accurate physical addresses are reflected in FEMA’s system.
In addition to providing opportunities to register for disaster assistance, DRCs provide a location for disaster survivors to check the status of their applications, to submit documentation and to speak with representatives from other agencies that assist in disaster recovery, such as the Small Business Administration.
- Disaster Recovery Centers to Open this Week
- CNMI GOVERNMENT AND NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS IMPACTED BY TYPHOON MANGKHUT URGED TO APPLY FOR PUBLIC ASSISTANCE; INDIVIDUAL ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE FOR RESIDENTS
- PUBLIC NOTICE MAJOR DISASTER DECLARATION FEMA 4396–DR–MP
- FEDERAL DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE FOR ELIGIBLE RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS OWNERS
- SBA NEWS RELEASE: SBA Disaster Assistance Available to Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands
- CNMI’s Disaster Declaration Approved by White House; Federal Assistance Now Available for Eligible Residents and Business Owners
- FEDERAL AID PROGRAMS FOR THE COMMONWEALTH OF THE NORTHERN MARIANA ISLANDS
- President Donald J. Trump Approves Major Disaster Declaration for the Northern Mariana Islands
- SBA NEWS RELEASE: SBA Stands Ready to Assist Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands Businesses and Residents Affected by Typhoon Mangkhut
Individual Assistance - Dollars Approved
Total Individual & Households Program (IHP) - Dollars Approved*
Total Housing Assistance (HA) - Dollars Approved*
Total Other Needs Assistance (ONA) - Dollars Approved*
Total Individual Assistance (IA) - Applications Approved*
Public Assistance - Dollars Approved
Total Public Assistance Grants (PA) - Dollars Obligated✝
Emergency Work (Categories A-B) - Dollars Obligated✝
Permanent Work (Categories C-G) - Dollars Obligated✝
* Dollars Approved: Assistance dollars approved but not necessarily disbursed.
✝ Dollars Obligated: Funds made available to the State via electronic transfer following FEMA's final review and approval of Public Assistance projects.
Learn more about FEMA Disaster definitions. Information is updated every 24 hours.