Main Content

Louisiana Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-4263)

Incident Period: March 08, 2016 - April 08, 2016
Major Disaster Declaration declared on March 13, 2016

Individual Assistance Applications
Approved: 15,950

Total Individual & Households Program
Dollars Approved: $94,361,628.91

Total Public Assistance Grants
Dollars Obligated: $85,833,079.57

Designated Counties (Individual Assistance):

Allen (Parish), Ascension (Parish), Avoyelles (Parish), Beauregard (Parish), Bienville (Parish), Bossier (Parish), Caddo (Parish), Calcasieu (Parish), Caldwell (Parish), Catahoula (Parish), Claiborne (Parish), De Soto (Parish), East Carroll (Parish), Franklin (Parish), Grant (Parish), Jackson (Parish), La Salle (Parish), Lincoln (Parish), Livingston (Parish), Madison (Parish), Morehouse (Parish), Natchitoches (Parish), Ouachita (Parish), Rapides (Parish), Red River (Parish), Richland (Parish), Sabine (Parish), St. Helena (Parish), St. Tammany (Parish), Tangipahoa (Parish), Union (Parish), Vernon (Parish), Washington (Parish), Webster (Parish), West Carroll (Parish), Winn (Parish)

August 2016 severe storms and flooding (DR-4277)

Flood Debris

It’s never too early to begin removing flooded debris and taking charge of your recovery.

Here are some tips to dispose flooded debris safely and speed up removal:

  • First speak with your insurance adjuster. Contact information for your insurance company may be found on the Louisiana Department of Insurance website:
  • Also speak with your local officials for any specific instructions they may have. Also notify them of any damage if you haven’t done so already. Contact information for your parish emergency management officials may be found online:
  • Take lots of pictures of flood damage and keep disaster-related receipts.
  • Place debris curbside. Debris cannot be collected on private property.
  • Do not prop up debris against trees and utility poles or place in the vicinity of fire hydrants and utility boxes. That makes it more difficult for cleanup crews to collect.
  • Debris should be separated into the following six categories:
    • Household garbage such as discarded food, packaging and papers.
    • Construction debris such as building materials, carpeting, furniture and mattresses.
    • Vegetation debris such as tree branches and leaves.
    • Household hazardous waste such as batteries, paints and cleaning supplies.
    • White goods such as refrigerators, washers/dryers, water heaters and air conditioners.
    • Electronics such as televisions, stereo equipment and computers.

Applying for disaster assistance

Louisiana disaster survivors should register for federal disaster distance for many reasons.

Sources of Financial Help After a Disaster• Insurance• FEMA• Disaster Loan from the Small Business Administration• Voluntary Agencies
This graphic points to the <a href="//">Sources of Financial Help After a Disaster PDF</a>, which provides an overview of resources available to disaster survivors, including voluntary agencies, insurance, FEMA assistance, and/or a disaster loan from the Small Business Administration. Download Original


  • Registering with a community- or faith-based group does not register you with FEMA
  • Both homeowners and renters may be eligible.
  • Register even if you have insurance because not all damage may be insured.
  • Register even if you only had minor damage.
  • Register even if your home is still inaccessible. FEMA inspectors will remain in Louisiana as long as possible to wait for the water to recede and perform all inspections.
  • Register even if you think you’ll be ineligible. FEMA’s professionals may determine you’re eligible for some forms of assistance.

Fact Sheets

These fact sheets may be able to answer questions or assist you with Disaster information.

For a list of fact sheets, click on Louisiana Fact Sheets.

SBA Loan Information and Frequently Asked Questions

Why was I referred to the U.S. Small Business Administration after registering with FEMA?

The SBA isn’t just for businesses. It’s for homeowners and renters too. The SBA is the federal government’s primary source of money for disaster-damaged private property, offering low-interest disaster assistance loans to businesses of all sizes, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters.

Why must I complete and return a loan application?

Completing and submitting an SBA loan application may make you eligible for certain FEMA grants if you don’t qualify for a loan. Homeowners and renters who are not offered an SBA loan may be considered for FEMA’s Other Needs Assistance program to cover some uninsured losses, such as essential household and clean up items and clothing.

Am I obligated to accept a loan offer?


Can I still apply if I’m waiting on my insurance settlement?

Submit an SBA loan application even if you are waiting for an insurance settlement.  You may be able to begin your recovery immediately with a low-interest SBA disaster loan. The loan balance will be reduced by the settlement from your insurance. SBA loans may also be available for losses not covered by insurance or other recoveries.

How much I can borrow?

Homeowners may borrow up to $200,000 to repair or replace their primary residence. Homeowners and renters may borrow up to $40,000 to replace personal property. Businesses may borrow up to $2 million for any combination of property damage or economic injury.

How can I learn more about low-interest SBA disaster loans?

You may contact SBA’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by calling 800-659-2955 or TTY 800-877-8339, emailing or visiting SBA’s website at

What happens after I apply?

What happens after I apply for federal disaster assistance?

If you applied and live in a designated parish, a FEMA inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection of your home or rental property. Remember that FEMA may only consider you for assistance for your primary residence.

What do I need for the FEMA inspector?

Be sure to have a photo ID, homeowner and insurance documents, a list of people who living at the residence during the disaster, a list of damage and proof of occupancy. Proof of occupancy can include a utility a bill or proof of a mortgage payment or tax bill.

My home is still flooded and cannot be entered. What next?

FEMA housing inspectors will remain in Louisiana as long as it takes to complete all inspections, even for homes where water is slow to recede.

What happens after the FEMA inspection visit?

FEMA will review your application. You’ll receive a letter on your eligibility decision within a week.

I was approved for FEMA assistance. What can I use the money for?

You may receive assistance for things uncovered by insurance. This includes a place to stay, repairs to make your home safe, sanitary and functional, and replacing or repairing certain household items.

How can I find places to stay?

Search the FEMA Housing Portal. The portal is routinely updated with a list of available rental resources.

How do I discuss my temporary housing options further?

Please call 800-621-3362 or visit your closest recovery center by using the Disaster Recovery Center locator to find a location where you can speak with someone face-to-face.

After receiving a letter

I applied with FEMA and was given a letter saying I’m ineligible or that my application was incomplete. Does this mean I’m not going to get any help?

Don't be alarmed or discouraged. Sometimes just a quick fix can change “ineligible” to “eligible”. Maybe FEMA does not have all the information needed to make a decision regarding your application for disaster assistance.  It’s important to call 800-621-3362 or visit a recovery center to discuss this with us face-to-face. Find your closest Louisiana recovery center online:

Can I appeal my determination letter?

Every applicant has the right to appeal.

How long do I have to appeal?

Appeals must be delivered within 60 days of the date on your determination letter. Guidelines for appeals can be found in the Applicant’s Handbook sent to everyone who registered with FEMA.

How do I appeal?

You can visit our page "Appeal FEMA's Individual Assistance Decision" about how to appeal. You can also call 800-621-3362 or visit your nearest Louisiana recovery center to speak with somebody who will assist you through the appeal process. Locate disaster recovery centers online at

What are some reasons why I could have received this letter?

Maybe you didn’t return information about your insurance policy, provide information to prove occupancy or ownership of the damaged property, fill out all necessary paperwork, or complete and return the U.S. Small Business Administration disaster loan application. Remember: You are never obligated to accept an SBA loan offer.

I have insurance. How do I get that information to FEMA so you can proceed with my application?

Contact your insurance company and ask for a settlement letter detailing exactly what is covered under their claim.
They should mail your insurance settlement information to:

FEMA – Individuals and Households Program
National Processing Service Center
P.O. Box 10055
Hyattsville, MD 20782-7055

How long do I have to submit insurance information?

You have up to 12 months from the date you registered with FEMA to submit insurance information for review. FEMA cannot provide money to individuals or households for losses already covered by insurance.

I lost my insurance information. How do I contact my agency and obtain those documents?

The Louisiana Department of Insurance has contact information for your insurance companies:

Online Resources for Survivors

When severe flooding struck Louisiana, leaving thousands of residents looking for assistance, public agencies and private entities created resources and programs designed to help them.  

Survivors facing urgent safety issues should call 911. For non-emergency issues and updated news and bulletins, survivors can call the Louisiana 2-1-1 help line or visit // For emergency-related news, they can also follow @211Louisiana on Twitter.


The Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness (GOHSEP), //, contains links to disaster planning guides and situation updates.

Louisiana GOHSEP Facebook Page

@GOHSEP on Twitter Website

Louisiana Emergency Preparedness Guide and find other information

DOTD’s website for updated road closure information


FEMA’s website for Louisiana Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-4263) has the latest news and information on the disaster in Louisiana. Also, ‘like’ the FEMA Facebook page, and/or follow @FEMAregion6 on Twitter. Also,  has links to community resources, government directories and alerts.

FOOD ASSISTANCE has a statewide food bank database.


The Department of Health and Hospitals is online. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has a page for flood preparedness and response.

CDC on Facebook

@CDCEmergency on Twitter.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has a hotline accessible by calling 800-321-OSHA (6742).


The Louisiana Directory of Mental Health Services is online at //

For children and youth services, call the state health department at 225-342-9500 or visit the Children’s Special Health Services website at //  for information or to apply for services for developmentally disabled children.


Contact your local school district if you have not been able to enroll your child in school in the town where you are currently living, or if you have not been able to return to your home school district.


Louisiana Aging Services administers federal and state-run services for senior citizens. It also oversees the Area Agencies of Aging in each parish, which develop coordinated community-based systems. Visit // or call the Aging and Adult Services Helpline at 866-758-5035.


Louisiana has several agencies that deal with different groups of people who are disabled or have access and functional needs. To learn more, visit the Department of Health and Hospitals online at // or the Louisiana Assistive Technology Access Network at


The National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences provides documents and resources in English, Spanish and Vietnamese that address emergency preparedness in hurricane and flood situations. Links are at //

The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality has a resource page // with fact sheets and information on environmental issues, including disaster debris management.

The Environmental Protection Agency’s website,, has a section on water issues.

“EPA” on Facebook

@EPAgov on Twitter

or call 888-283-7626.

HAZARD MITIGATION, FLOOD INSURANCE AND FLOOD MAP INFO is the official website for the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)

This page contains links to all of R6 Disaster Mitigation pages which contain links to information for the public to use to recover and rebuild after a disaster.


Louisiana Legal Services provides free civil legal assistance to low-income residents.

Financial Assistance

Individual Assistance - Dollars Approved


Total Individual & Households Program (IHP) - Dollars Approved*


Total Housing Assistance (HA) - Dollars Approved*


Total Other Needs Assistance (ONA) - Dollars Approved*


Total Individual Assistance (IA) - Applications Approved*

Public Assistance - Dollars Approved


Total Public Assistance Grants (PA) - Dollars Obligated✝


Emergency Work (Categories A-B) - Dollars Obligated✝


Permanent Work (Categories C-G) - Dollars Obligated✝

* Dollars Approved: Assistance dollars approved but not necessarily disbursed.
✝ Dollars Obligated: Funds made available to the State via electronic transfer following FEMA's final review and approval of Public Assistance projects.

Learn more about FEMA Disaster definitions. Information is updated every 24 hours.

Preliminary Damage Assessment Report

PDA Report; FEMA-4263-DR

Related Links

Last Updated: 2016-04-12 04:00