Rhode Island State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Rhode Island State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesRhode Island Commission on the Deaf & Hard of Hearing Counseling, training, communications devices, and interpreter services.401-256-5511
TTY 401-222-5300                   Videophone 401-354-7630
Aging ServicesRhode Island Office of Healthy Aging This service links those who need assistance with state and local area agencies on aging and community-based organization.  Information, referral, case management,  long-term care options counseling, and health care services.401-462-3000
TTY 401-462-0740
Agricultural AidRhode Island State Farm Service AgencyUSDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.401-828-8232
Agricultural AidRhode Island USDA Rural Development USDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas.  401-826-0842
Agricultural AidRhode Island Division of AgricultureInformation for agricultural industry, plant and animal health, permits, testing, food safety, and regulations.401-222-4700
After hours emergencies:
TTY: 711
Animals/PetsRhode Island Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA)Animal services and support, information, low income veterinary clinic, pet care resources, pet loss support, and animal surrender.401-438-8150
Consumer ServicesRhode Island Department of Attorney General - Consumer Protection UnitInformation on price gouging and consumer complaint services.401-274-4400  
ContractorsRhode Island Department of Administration - Contractor's Registration BoardContractor's online license verification and consumer complaints services.401-921-1590
TDD 401-222-6334
Crisis CounselingRhode Island Suicide & Crisis Hotlines24-hour and toll-free suicide prevention service available to all those in suicidal crisis who are seeking help.   Hotline numbers listed. Emergency: 911
Hope Valley: 401-539-7474
Providence: 401-272-4044
South Kingston: 401-783-0782
Statewide: 800-365-4044
Crisis CounselingThe Samaritans of Rhode IslandCrisis listening line, suicide prevention resources, information and resources about mental health issues, Emergency: 911
Disaster Specific  InformationRhode Island Emergency Management Agency (REIMA)Information regarding utilities outages and alerts, weather and transportation updates, resources for preparedness, and online floodplain mapping tool.Web referral only:
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceRhode Island Department of Labor & Training - Unemployment InsuranceWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance is activated, the agency will provide disaster information.  This assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.(401) 415-6772  
EnvironmentRhode Island Department of Environmental Management (DEM)Information and resources for preserving the environment, online services available for education resources, complaints or violations, permits and licenses, and rules and regulations.General Information:
After Hours Emergencies:
Essential NeedsRhode Island Department of Human Services: BenefitsAssistance in filing an application for public benefits such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) previously known as food stamps, Medicaid, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families and other public assistance services.DHS Call Center:
Essential NeedsRhode Island Community Food BankReferrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance. Online "Find Food" local food pantry search.211
Email: contactus@rifoodbank.org
Family & Protective ServicesRhode Island Department of Children, Youth, & Families: Child Welfare
Individuals concerned with children at risk for abuse and neglect.
Emergency: 911
Family & Protective ServicesRhode Island Division of Elderly Affairs:  Adult Protective ServicesIndividuals concerned with possible elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation. Emergency: 911 
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesRhode Island Department of Human Services: Programs & ServicesInformation about public benefits such Medicaid,  and other public assistance services.DHS Call Center:
HousingRhode Island USDA Rural Development USDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. USDA Rural Development
Customer Service Center
HousingRhode Island HousingInformation and resources for homebuyers and owners, online rental resource guide, and information for landlords. Main: 401-457-1234
TTY: 401-450-1394
HelpCenter: 401-457-1130
Information & ReferralState of Rhode IslandRhode Island's Official State Website. Links to all State Departments and Agencies.Web referral only:
Information & ReferralUnited Way 2-1-1 of Rhode IslandReferral for Food, Mental Health, Health Care, Housing, Substance Use, Youth, Transportation, Utility Assistance, Income, Children & Families, Crisis, Basic Needs, Legal Assistance, Re-Entry, Older Adults211
Text zip code to 898211
In-state Callers: 401-444-0600
Out-of-State Callers: 1-800-367-2700
TTY: 401-519-0374
InsuranceRhode Island Insurance Regulation Division
General insurance information, insurance complaint services, insurance license search, and fraud reporting services.401-462-9520 
Legal ServicesRhode Island Legal Services Information and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.401- 274-2652
Tax PreparationRhode Island Division of TaxationState tax information assistance and online services for individuals and businesses.401-574-8484
Veterans AffairsRhode Island Office of Veterans AffairsInformation and resources for veterans, veterans benefits, services for family and caregivers. 401-921-2119
Vital StatisticsRhode Island Division of Motor VehiclesDuplicate drivers licenses, auto registrations and title services.  Online services available, and directory of Branch offices.401-462-4368
Vital StatisticsRhode Island Department of Health: Vital RecordsReplacement birth/death/marriage certificates or other vital document services, online services available.401-222-2811

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024

Last updated