West Virginia State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

West Virginia State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesWest Virginia Developmental Disabilities CouncilWorking to assure that West Virginians with developmental disabilities receive the services, supports, and other forms of assistance they need to exercise self-determination and achieve independence, productivity, integration, and inclusion in the community.304-558-0416 
TDD 304-558-2376
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesWest Virginia Center for Excellence in DisabilitiesImprove the lives of West Virginians with disabilities by supporting more diverse, inclusive communities.  Education and training, research, resources, and services.Morgantown (North):  304-293-4692  888-829-9426
TTY: (800) 518-1448
Big Chimney (South):  304-720-3200
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesWest Virginia Commission for the Deaf and Hard of HearingAssistive communication, registry of interpreters, resources, complaint forms, news, and education.Voice/TTY: 304-558-1675
VP: 304-400-6959
Voice/TTY: 866-461-3578
Aging ServicesWest Virginia Bureau of Senior ServicesThe West Virginia Bureau of Senior Services is the designated state agency that acts as the lead entity for programs serving older West Virginians.  Topics such as how to get "Help at Home", "Staying Healthy", legal aid, insurance, consumer protection, and "In-Home Care Worker Registry".  Online listing of Senior Centers and County Aging Providers.304-558-3317
Aging ServicesWest Virginia Aging and Disability Resource NetworkThe West Virginia Aging & Disability Resource Network (ADRN) and our partner agencies are a bridge to available resources for long-term care services and supports. Online "Find Organizations" search by areas, zip codes, or providers.866-981-2372
Agricultural AidUSDA Farm Service Agency: West VirginiaAgricultural programs, agricultural risk coverage, recovery programs, and agriculture disaster loans. Online office locator map by county.304-284-4800
Agricultural AidUSDA Rural Development: West VirginiaRural Development offers loans, grants and loan guarantees to help create jobs and support economic development and essential services such as housing, health care, first responder services and equipment, and water, electric and communications infrastructure.  Directory of office locations and contacts.304-284-4860
Agricultural AidWest Virginia Department of AgricultureInformation on animal health, business development, food safety, environment, and regulations.304-558-3550
Consumer ServicesOffice of the West Virginia Attorney General: Consumer ProtectionResource for information about how consumers can protect themselves, get scams alerts, and file complaints.  Online complaint form available.1-800-368-8808
Online complaint form
ContractorsWest Virginia Division of Labor: Contractor LicensingOnline search for contractor licenses, manufactured housing information, certifications, and consumer information.304-558-7890
ContractorsA General Building Contractors License is required in West Virginia when the project exceeds $1,000.  
Crisis CounselingUnited Summit CenterServing Harrison, Marion, Lewis, Taylor, Braxton, Doddridge, and Gilmer Counties. outpatient services to meet consumer needs in the areas of Crisis Intervention, Mental Health, Addiction Recovery, and Intellectual or Developmental Disabilities services. Programs are available to provide for the treatment needs of children, adolescents, adults and older adults.Emergency: 911
Crisis: 800-786-6480 
Main office: 304-623-5661
Crisis CounselingPotomac Highlands Guild Comprehensive Behavioral Health ServicesServing Grant, Hampshire, Hardy, Mineral, and Pendleton counties. Provides comprehensive behavioral health services for people diagnosed with mental illness, substance use issues, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and other life problems.Emergency:  911
Crisis: 800-545-4357
Crisis CounselingValley Healthcare System CrisisServing Monongalia, Marion, Taylor, and Preston counties.  Providing comprehensive behavioral health program including mental health, chemical dependency, developmental disabilities, and "ropes and challenges" events.Emergency: 911
Crisis: 800-232-0020
Crisis CounselingPrestera CenterServing Boone, Cabell, Clay, Kanawha, Lincoln, Logan, Mason, Putnam and Wayne counties. Provides services to rural areas where individuals may otherwise be unable to access behavioral health services.  Services for addiction recovery, adults, children and adolescents, crisis services, and intellectual disabilities.Emergency: 911
Mental Health Crisis: 800-642-3434
General: 877-399-7776
Disaster Specific  Information   
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceWorkforce West VirginiaWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance is activated, the agency will provide disaster information.  This assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.800-252-5627
TTY: 711
Essential NeedsWest Virginia Department of Health and Human Services: Family Assistance Information on assistance and benefits including food assistance, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly known as food stamp, child support assistance, energy assistance, Temporary Aid to Needy Families (TANF), medical assistance, and general relief.304-558-0628
Essential NeedsFood Pantries West VirginiaDirectory by city for resources such as Food Banks, Soup Kitchens, and non-profit organizations committed to fighting hunger. Search for  food pantries with online locator by address.Online locator by address
Essential NeedsWest Virginia Health and Human Resources:  Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) ProgramWomen, Infants, and Children (WIC) Program provides quality nutrition and breastfeeding counseling and education; as well as health monitoring and nutritious foods.304-558-0030
Essential NeedsWest Virginia 2-1-1Information and referrals for essential needs and health and human services including disaster related services.211
Family & Protective ServicesWest Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources: Children and FamiliesIndividuals concerned with children or adults at risk for abuse and neglect.  When you suspect abuse or neglect of children or adults you should report your concerns to the county office of the Department of Health and Human Resources where you live.  Online county office locator available.Emergency: 911
 West Virginia Bureau for Medical Services:  MedicaidInformation on application and eligibility for state Medicaid.  Online directory of local Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR) offices.877-716-1212
TTY: 855-889-4325
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesWest Virginia Children's Health Insurance ProgramWVCHIP was created to help working families who do not have health insurance for their children.877-982-2447
HousingUSDA Rural Development: West VirginiaWe offer loans, grants and loan guarantees to support economic development and essential services such as housing, health care, first responder services and equipment, and water, electric and communications infrastructure.304-284-4860
HousingHUD Public Housing Agency: West VirginiaInformation about HUD rental programs, including Housing Choice (Section 8) Vouchers.304-347-7000
TTY: 800-877-8339
InsuranceWest Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner: Consumer ServicesThe Consumer Service Section is available to assist all West Virginia consumers, insurance companies, and their agents with insurance questions or complaints. 888-879-9842
TTY 800-435-7381
Legal ServicesWest Virginia State Bar: Lawyer Referral ServiceInformation, lawyer referral service, mediation referral, non-criminal legal aid services for low income people, veterans, and free volunteer lawyer consultation.304-553-7220
Legal ServicesLegal Aid of West VirginiaCivil legal aid, Behavioral Health Advocacy, and Long Term and Elder Care program for  low-income families.  Online intake application form available.Intake: 866-255-4370 
Eldercare: 800-834-0598
Tax PreparationWest Virginia State Tax DepartmentInformation on state taxes for individuals and businesses.  Online services, forms, and resources. Regional offices in Beckley, Clarksburg, Martinsburg, Parkersburg, and Wheeling. 304-558-3333
Veterans ServicesWest Virginia Department of Veteran's AssistanceConnection to federal and state veteran benefits, family support, and quality veterans care.  Online locator for field office locations and contact numbers.304-558-366
Online contact form
Veteran Crisis Hotline: 800-273-8255
Vital StatisticsWest Virginia Department of Motor VehiclesOnline services to replace identification, drivers license, vehicle registration, and vehicle titles.  Online locator for regional offices.304-558-3900
Hearing Impaired: 800-742-6991 
Vital StatisticsWest Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources: Health Statistics CenterReplacement birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates and other vital document services.304-558-2931
VolunteerVolunteer West VirginiaLead agency for volunteerism and National Service in West Virginia.  AmeriCorps positions, volunteer opportunities, grant and training opportunities.304-558-0111

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024

Last updated