This section is for fire departments (state, local, tribal and territorial) and organizations that represent the interests of firefighters. The section contains information on the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants program, application assistance tools, previous grant awards, grant statistics and more.
The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants (SAFER) was created to provide funding directly to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations to help them increase or maintain the number of trained, "front line" firefighters available in their communities. The goal of SAFER is to enhance the local fire departments' abilities to comply with staffing, response and operational standards established by the NFPA (NFPA 1710 and/or NFPA 1720). For details, review the National Fire Protection Association's codes and standards.
Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants
FY 2019 SAFER COST SHARE WAIVED; OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD EXTENDED:
In recognition of the economic hardships facing local jurisdictions and fire departments across the country as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, Acting Secretary of Homeland Security Chad F. Wolf has waived the cost share, position cost limit, supplanting, and minimum budget requirements for FY19 SAFER grant applicants. More information is in Information Bulletin 450, which can be found here. In addition, the application period is being extended to May 27, 2020 at 5 p.m. ET.
Review the available guidance materials below and apply now.
- FY 2019 SAFER Application and Submission Changes IB 450 - New
- Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- FY 2019 SAFER Recruitment and Retention for Fire Departments Webinar - New
- FY 2019 SAFER Hiring of Firefighters Webinar - New
- Economic Hardship Waiver for FPS, SAFER and AFG
- Self Evaluation - Hiring of Firefighters
- SAFER Recruitment and Retention Request Details Instructions
- Self Evaluation - Recruitment and Retention for Fire Departments
- Self Evaluation - Recruitment and Retention for Interest Organizations
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
System for Award Management Registration Requirement
System for Award Management (Sam.gov) registration is required of all AFG Program applicants and awardees. Please go to SAM.gov/portal/public/SAM/ and follow the FAQs and User Guides for help completing the registration.
SAFER Program Tools
SAFER Grants Management 101 Webinar
- Material from the SAFER Grants Management 101 Webinar for FY 2009/2010 is now available for download. (PDF 609kB, TXT 18kB)
- Topics discussed include:
- Periods of performance
- Payment requests
- Performance report requirements
- SAFER Program Guidance & FAQs
- SAFER Grant Success Stories
- If you are not currently receiving the free biweekly AFG Program E-Mail Alerts, be sure to sign up now on the E-Mail Alert signup page.