This section is for fire departments (state, local, tribal and territorial) and organizations that represent the interests of firefighters. The section contains information on the Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants program, application assistance tools, previous grant awards, grant statistics, and more.
The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response Grants (SAFER) was created to provide funding directly to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations to help them increase or maintain the number of trained, "front line" firefighters available in their communities. The goal of SAFER is to enhance the local fire departments' abilities to comply with staffing, response and operational standards established by the NFPA (NFPA 1710 and/or NFPA 1720). For details, review the National Fire Protection Association's codes and standards.
Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants
FY 2018 SAFER Open Application Period Announcement
The 2018 SAFER application period will open Friday, February 15, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. ET and will close on Friday, March 22, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. ET
- 2018 SAFER Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- 2018 SAFER Self Evaluation Recruitment and Retention for Fire Departments
- 2018 SAFER Self Evaluation Recruitment and Retention for Interested Organizations
- 2018 SAFER Self Evaluation for Hiring
- 2018 SAFER Application Checklist
- 2018 SAFER Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Economic Hardship Waiver Information
System for Award Management Registration Requirement
System for Award Management (Sam.gov) registration is required of all AFG Program applicants and awardees. Please go to SAM.gov/portal/public/SAM/ and follow the FAQs and User Guides for help completing the registration.
SAFER Program Tools
SAFER Grants Management 101 Webinar
- Material from the SAFER Grants Management 101 Webinar for FY 2009/2010 is now available for download. (PDF 609kB, TXT 18kB)
- Topics discussed include:
- Periods of performance
- Payment requests
- Performance report requirements
- SAFER Program Guidance & FAQs
- SAFER Grant Success Stories
- If you are not currently receiving the free biweekly AFG Program E-Mail Alerts, be sure to sign up now on the E-Mail Alert signup page.