Replacing Lost or Missing Documents

Release Date:
May 5, 2023

Many Oklahomans may have lost important items in the severe storms, straight-line winds and tornadoes that occurred April 19-20, including documents that may be needed when applying for disaster assistance.

Missing Documents

If papers are gone – such as birth certificates, Social Security cards, driver’s licenses, tax records, insurance policies, etc.— many can be replaced by contacting sources of information, such as vital records offices, Social Security agencies, insurance offices and other organizations or agencies.

Disaster survivors need to provide proof of citizenship, proof of property ownership or rental occupancy, Social Security numbers and other personal information when registering for disaster assistance, but documentation may also be submitted after applying for assistance. Below are some sources to replace lost documents:

  • Proof of address/residency: Contact your local utility company to obtain a recent bill.
  • Birth certificates: Contact the Oklahoma State Department of Health. Go to Birth and Death Certificates (
  • Copies of insurance policies: Contact your insurance agent or the insurance company.
  • State tax records visit the Oklahoma Tax Commission’s website at
  • Driver’s licenses and IDs – Visit Renew & Replace License & ID (
  • Social Security cards: Call the U.S. Social Security office at 800-772-1213, Monday through Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. CDT. For TTY users the number is 800-325-0778. Visit Social Security Number and Card | SSA for more information on how to replace your Social Security card.
  • Medicare cards: Log into (or create) your secure Medicare account to print or order an official copy of your Medicare card. You can also call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) to order a replacement card to be sent in the mail. TTY users can call 1-877-486-2048. Visit for more information.
  • Federal tax records: Call the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, or log onto
  • Military Records: Visit the National Archives website at
  • Green Card replacement: Visit and click on “learn about green cards” on the left side of the home page. For more information visit: Replace Your Green Card | USCIS.
  • eal Estate and property records (mortgage documents, deeds, etc.): Contact a real estate agent, escrow agent, your mortgage company or your County Assessor’s office.
  • Medical and prescription records: Medical and prescription records are tracked electronically; contact your doctor, clinic or pharmacy.
  • Saving family records: The National Archives ( has detailed technical information on how to salvage damaged records and other information of interest to disaster survivors.

How to apply

  • The fastest and easiest way to apply for assistance is by visiting
  • If it is not possible to apply online, call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone lines operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT seven days a week. If you use video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA your number for that service.
  • Download the FEMA mobile app (available in Spanish) at Google Play or the Apple App Store.
  • Help is available in most languages, and information on the registration process is available in ASL at FEMA Accessible - YouTube.

Ways to apply to SBA after you register with FEMA:

  • To be considered for all forms of disaster assistance, survivors must first contact the Federal Emergency Management Agency at

  • Applicants may apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications at

  • Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email for more information. For people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or have a speech disability, please dial 7-1-1 to access telecommunications relay services.
Last updated