Established in 1991, the Caribbean Area Division implements and coordinates all emergency management programs in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the Territory of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- To provide a permanent FEMA presence in an area vulnerable to recurrent hurricanes and flooding and is a major earthquake/tsunami risk zone;
- To support Region II preparedness, response, recovery and mitigation operations and activities in the area; and
- To coordinate emergency management programs in the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the Territory of the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The FEMA Region II Caribbean Area Division seeks to promote safer, less vulnerable, resilient communities with the capacity to cope with all hazards and disasters.
What We Do
The CAD functions as a satellite office for Region II in San Juan, Puerto Rico, providing permanent FEMA presence in an area vulnerable to recurrent hurricanes and flooding, which is also located within a major earthquake risk zone. FEMA programs and units present at the CAD, includes:
- Public Assistance (Infrastructure)
- Individual Assistance
- Voluntary Agencies Liaison
- Hazard Mitigation Assistance (HMA)
- Floodplain Management
- Protection and National Preparedness
- Continuity of Operations (COOP)
- Mission Support
The Region II CAD has responded to, recovered from and mitigated against 34 emergencies and major disaster declarations in the last 28 years. FEMA has disbursed more than six billion dollars in Mitigation and Public Assistance grant funding for projects that mitigate or reduce hazards for communities in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- PR Metropolitan Underground Loop
- PR New Secure Home Mitigation Project
- USVI Storm Sewer System Improvement
- USVI Mitigation Project
FEMA’s whole community approach has enabled partnerships with hundreds of private sector participants that include businesses of all size and type, academia, consulates, among others. Also, there is a CAD Business Emergency Operations Center plan in place that may be activated, when needed.
FEMA CAD disseminates a monthly emergency preparedness e-Newsletter to its private sector stakeholders, that provides educational information and awareness related to preparedness activities that FEMA, the PR Emergency Management and USVI Emergency Management Agencies conduct to better prepare their communities in the Caribbean.
The CAD supports Puerto Rico and the U. S. Virgin Island Emergency Management Agency, through the delivery of training, seminars, planning meetings, preparedness exercises and workshops, Mitigation, Individual and Public Assistance program guidance, technical assistance in grants management, and FEMA/State/Territorial project reviews.
- External Affairs Officer - Delyris Aquino-Santiago
- Human Services Program Lead - Magda De La Matta
- Public Assistance Program Lead - Ana Morales
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hazard Mitigation Assistance / Earthquake/Tsunami Programs Contact - Sonny Beauchamp
- Email: email@example.com
- National Flood Insurance Program Contact - Héctor González
- Emergency Operational Planner - Marie Gonzalez
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Continuity of Operations - Orlando Olivera
- Email: email@example.com
- Voluntary Agency Liaison - Jesus Frau
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- National Preparedness Specialist - Vacant
- Training & Exercise Specialist - Idamis De Jesus
- Grants/Financial Management Specialist - Lyzette Figueroa
- Alejandro De La Campa, Director, CAD