Reduce disaster suffering.
What We Do
The Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA) manages the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and a range of programs designed to mitigate against future losses from all hazards including floods, earthquakes, tornadoes, and other natural disasters. Our work to advance mitigation and environmental and historic preservation focuses on breaking the cycle of damage to homes, businesses, schools, public buildings, and critical facilities. Combined these efforts help build stronger communities, reduce loss of life and property and result in less disaster suffering.
Through our programs, FIMA strives to build a more resilient nation by:
- Increasing awareness of flood risk through identification and publication of flood hazard information
- Reducing the impact of floods through hazard mitigation, floodplain management, and building codes
- Providing insurance to property owners to speed recovery from flood events
- Delivering hazard mitigation assistance grants for flood and all-hazard mitigation
- Diminishing the impact that disasters and emergency management decisions have on the nation’s natural and cultural resources