Oklahoma Survivors Affected by May Severe Storms, Tornadoes and Flooding Can Apply for Possible FEMA Assistance

Release Date Release Number
DR-4657-OK NR-001
Release Date:
July 1, 2022

OKLAHOMA CITY – Oklahoma homeowners and renters in seven counties who sustained damage from the recent severe storms, tornadoes and flooding from May 2-8 could be eligible for help from FEMA.

The designated counties for FEMA Individual Assistance are Adair, Cherokee, Muskogee, Okmulgee, Pottawatomie, Seminole and Tulsa.

The fastest and easiest way to apply for assistance is by visiting disasterassistance.gov.

If it is not possible to apply online, call 800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone lines operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT seven days a week. For Monday, July 4, the operating hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. CDT. If you use a relay service, such as video relay service (VRS), captioned telephone service or others, give FEMA the number for that service.

When you apply for assistance, have this information readily available:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying
  • Your Social Security number, if available
  • A general list of damage and losses
  • If insured, the policy number or the agent and/or the company name

Remember to keep receipts from all purchases related to cleanup and repair.

Disaster assistance may include financial help with temporary lodging and home repairs along with other programs to assist families recovering from effects of the event.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loans are available to businesses of all sizes, nonprofits, homeowners and renters. Like FEMA, SBA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance.

  • For small businesses, those engaged in aquaculture and most nonprofits: Up to $2 million is available for working capital needs even if there was no property damage, with a $2 million maximum loan for any combination of property damage and working capital needs.
  • For homeowners: Up to $200,000 is available to repair or replace their primary residence. For homeowners and renters: Up to $40,000 is available to replace personal property, including vehicles.

Businesses and residents can apply online at sba.gov/funding-programs/disaster-assistance. For questions and assistance completing an application, call 800-659-2955 or email DisasterCustomerAssistance@sba.gov.

If you have homeowners or renters insurance, you should file a claim as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If your policy does not cover all your damage expenses, you may then be eligible for federal assistance.


Last updated