BATON ROUGE, La. – Wintry weather and possibly dangerous road conditions are expected in Louisiana tonight through Friday morning.
Here are some winter safety tips for Louisianans living in FEMA temporary housing units:
- Stay alert to weather warnings and information on road conditions from state and federal authorities.
- Use the weather radio to monitor the situation and comply with any local official evacuation orders.
- Should local officials recommend manufactured housing occupants find sturdier shelter, evacuate immediately. Be sure to take pets with you.
- Survivors living in travel trailers must leave the trailer in place.
- To help stay warm, wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight, warm clothing and a hat.
- Follow guidelines from the state and FEMA:
- Conserve propane use prior to cold temperatures.
- Call the FEMA contracted emergency maintenance number for service if there is a problem with the unit.
- Maintenance service calls may be delayed by hazardous conditions on roadways.