This section contains eligible category information, grant awards, success stories, and program contacts. The information is for fire departments and eligible organizations interested in reducing death and injuries due to fire-related hazards.
The Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grants are part of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) and support projects that enhance the safety of the public and firefighters from fire and related hazards. The primary goal is to reduce injury and prevent death among high-risk populations. In 2005, Congress reauthorized funding for FP&S and expanded the eligible uses of funds to include Firefighter Safety Research and Development.
Fire Prevention & Safety Program
FY 2018 Fire Prevention & Safety (FP & S) Open Application Period closes at 5 p.m Friday, December 21, 2018 (Eastern Standard Time)
- 2018 FP&S Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- 2018 FP&S Cost Share Calculator
- FY 2018 Fire Prevention & Safety Research & Development (R & D) FAQs
- FY 2018 Fire Prevention & Safety FAQs
- 2018 FP&S Self Evaluation Guide
- 2018 FP&S Application Checklist
FP&S Research and Development (R&D)
Learn more about the research projects funded through AFG and how they are working to improve firefighter safety and health
Fire Prevention & Safety Program Videos
FP&S Grants Video. This video gives an overview of the FP&S Grant Program, describing the purpose of the grants, eligible activities and evaluation criteria.
Community Risk Assessment Video. This video describes the different types of risk assessments that applicants can use and explains how the risk assessment's information can support grant requests. Community risk assessments are critical to creating an effective fire prevention and safety project and they are required to obtain a FP&S grant.
FP&S Success Stories
System for Award Management (SAM) Registration is Required to Apply or Receive a Grant Award
- System for Award Management (Sam.gov) registration is required of all AFG Program applicants and awardees. Please go to SAM.gov/portal/public/SAM/ and follow the FAQs and User Guides for help completing the registration. For additional information, please visit our SAM.gov resource page
- Questions regarding the FP&S Grants can be directed to the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Grant Programs Directorate (GPD) AFG Program staff at 1-866-274-0960 or e-mail email@example.com.
If you are not currently receiving AFG Program E-Mail Alerts, be sure to sign up now on the email alert signup page.