This section contains eligible category information, grant awards, success stories and program contacts. The information is for fire departments and eligible organizations interested in reducing death and injuries due to fire-related hazards.
The Fire Prevention and Safety (FP&S) Grants are part of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) and support projects that enhance the safety of the public and firefighters from fire and related hazards. The primary goal is to reduce injury and prevent death among high-risk populations. In 2005, Congress reauthorized funding for FP&S and expanded the eligible uses of funds to include Firefighter Safety Research and Development.
Fire Prevention & Safety Program
OPEN APPLICATION PERIOD ANNOUNCEMENT:
The Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) Grants Application Period is now open will open and close on Friday May 29 at 5 p.m.
Begin preparing now by reviewing the available guidance materials below.
- Fire Prevention & Safety Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO)
- Fire Prevention & Safety Application Checklist
- Fire Prevention & Safety Self-Evaluation Sheet
- Fire Prevention & Safety Cost Share Calculator
- FEMA GO Account Creation User Guide
- Economic Hardship Waiver for FPS, SAFER, and AFG
- Fire Prevention & Safety FAQs
- Fire Prevention & Safety Research & Development (R & D) FAQs
FY 2019 FIRE PREVENTION & SAFETY LIVE WEBINARS
Beginning on April 28 and through May 18, FEMA will host live Adobe Connect webinars to provide an overview of the FY 2019 Fire Prevention & Safety Grant Program. For additional details please visit the FP&S Webinar Page.
FP&S Research and Development (R&D)
Learn more about the research projects funded through AFG and how they are working to improve firefighter safety and health
Fire Prevention & Safety Program Videos
FP&S Grants Video. This video gives an overview of the FP&S Grant Program, describing the purpose of the grants, eligible activities and evaluation criteria.
Community Risk Assessment Video. This video describes the different types of risk assessments that applicants can use and explains how the risk assessment's information can support grant requests. Community risk assessments are critical to creating an effective fire prevention and safety project and they are required to obtain a FP&S grant.
FP&S Success Stories
System for Award Management (SAM) Registration is Required to Apply or Receive a Grant Award
- System for Award Management (Sam.gov) registration is required of all AFG Program applicants and awardees. Please go to SAM.gov/portal/public/SAM/ and follow the FAQs and User Guides for help completing the registration. For additional information, please visit our SAM.gov resource page
- Questions regarding the FP&S Grants can be directed to the Federal Emergency Management Agency's Grant Programs Directorate (GPD) AFG Program staff at 1-866-274-0960 or e-mail email@example.com.
If you are not currently receiving AFG Program E-Mail Alerts, be sure to sign up now on the email alert signup page.