Applicants who need a friend or relative to act on their behalf when applying for disaster assistance, or to meet the FEMA inspector on site, can do so by writing and submitting a third-party statement. This document is a legal agreement that allows another person over the age of 18 to provide and receive information from FEMA on behalf of the survivor.
Third-party written consent is useful when:
- The applicant is displaced and unable to be present during the home inspection.
- People need help filling out the application for FEMA assistance. This could be helpful for:
- Senior citizens
- People who have difficulties understanding verbal and/or written information
- People with mental, physical or sensory challenges that may prevent them from understanding
- Be in writing. The written statement can be uploaded to your DisasterAssistance.gov account, mailed, faxed or brought into a Disaster Recovery Center.
- Mail or fax to: FEMA National Processing Service Center P.O. Box 10055 Hyattsville, MD 20782-8055 Fax: 800-827-8112
- Verbal permission is only accepted when both the survivor and the third party are present at a FEMA Disaster Recovery Center or while calling the FEMA Helpline.
- Verify identity. The survivor must state their full name, current address, date and place of birth as well as their application number.
- Be signed by the survivor. By signing the document, the survivor agrees that the information is truthful.
- Include an individual identifier. Including the application number will help a FEMA representative locate your application and expedite the process.
- Include information to be disclosed to the third party by FEMA.
- Identify the person or group to which the disclosure is being consented. This can be a friend, neighbor, relative or a representative such as an insurance agent.
Survivors must be able to successfully answer all verifications if they call the FEMA Helpline and request that the operator speak to a third party on their behalf.
How to Contact FEMA
- Online at DisasterAssistance.gov
- Call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585) any time
- Download the FEMA mobile app