It’s easy to be confused by all the disaster resources available as you recover from Hurricane Ida, but here is a breakdown of agencies, programs, phone numbers and website links that may assist.
- If you have insurance, contact your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance provider to file a claim. If you have not filed a claim with your insurance company or provided a copy of your insurance settlement approval or denial to FEMA, you will likely receive a notification that there is "no decision." This means FEMA may need additional information from you to continue processing your application.
- For National Flood Insurance Program questions, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 877-336- 2627.
For FEMA Assistance
- For survivors who live in one of the 25 designated Parishes for Individual Assistance: Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Iberia, Iberville, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, Pointe Coupee, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Martin, St. Mary, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, Washington, West Baton Rouge and West Feliciana.
- FEMA disaster assistance may be available to help pay uninsured or underinsured losses such as home repair for disaster-related damage, rental assistance, reimbursement for lodging expenses for individuals whose home was inaccessible or unhabitable during the disaster, medical expenses incurred from this disaster or other disaster-related needs.
- Eligible survivors may be eligible for a one-time payment per household of $500 for immediate or critical lifesaving and life-sustaining items such as water, food, fuel for transportation, or prescriptions.
- FEMA may provide one month of expedited rental assistance to eligible applicants who reported their essential utilities are temporarily unavailable and whose primary home is in the one of the following parishes only: Ascension, Assumption, East Baton Rouge, East Feliciana, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. Helena, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, Terrebonne, and Washington.
- To apply for FEMA assistance, add information or check status, go to disasterassistance.gov or call 800-621-3362.
- For temporary repairs to damaged roofs, sign up with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at Blueroof.us or call 888-766-3258/888-ROOF-BLU .
- The parishes that have been identified for the Operation Blue Roof program are: Ascension, Jefferson, Lafourche, Livingston, Orleans, Plaquemines, St. Bernard, St. Charles, St. James, St. John the Baptist, St. Tammany, Tangipahoa, and Terrebonne. This program is a free service to homeowners.
Nonprofit and Volunteer Groups
- For assistance from the American Red Cross, go to: https://www.redcross.org/local/louisiana/get-help.html or call 504-620-3105.
- For temporary sheltering needs, text LAShelter to 898211 or dial 211 to locate a shelter.
- All shelters are using COVID safety measures and are supplied with COVID kits
- For information on donations and volunteering opportunities, go to https://volunteerlouisiana.gov/disaster- services
- If you are a medical professional who wants to volunteer, you can register with the Louisiana Department of Health at https://www.lava.dhh.louisiana.gov/
Power and Safety
- For a current power outage map, go to http://www.lpsc.louisiana.gov/.
- For current road closures and conditions, go to https://www.511la.org.
- For local emergency resources, contact your local parish OHSEP office, go to http://gohsep.la.gov/ABOUT/PARISHPA.
- Small Business Administration: Applicants (businesses, most private non -profits, homeowners and renters) for low-interest disaster loan may apply online, receive additional disaster assistance information and download applications at https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/. Applicants may also call SBA’s Customer Service Center at (800) 659-2955 or email email@example.com for more information on SBA disaster assistance.
- Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call 800-877-8339.
- Completed applications should be mailed to U.S. Small Business Administration, Processing and Disbursement Center, 14925 Kingsport Road, Fort Worth, TX 76155.
- Agricultural Producers: For loans and grants please contact Farm Services Agency to recover from losses, visit https://www.farmers.gov/recover/disaster-tool#step-1.
- Insurance: For individual or business insurance questions, go here: www.ldi.la.gov.
- Disaster Fraud: For information visit agjefflandry.com/Files/Shared/Documents/ConsumerTipsforNaturalDisasters.pdf
Additional State and Local Resources
- To pre-register your application if DSNAP is approved for your parish. Visit dcfs.la.gov/preregister for more information.
- For Louisiana participants in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), you can use your benefits to purchase “hot” or prepared foods through September 28, 2021, following a waiver from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service (FNS). More information about the “hot foods” waiver can be found at http://dcfs.louisiana.gov/page/snap-hot-foods-waiver
- For state resources, go to https://hurricanerecovery.la.gov/