FEMA has updated the operating hours for the Alaska-specific Disaster Assistance Hotline. Residents in the Regional Educational Attendance Areas of Bering Strait, Kashunamiut, Lower Kuskokwim and Lower Yukon who experienced damage or loss from September’s severe storm, flooding and landslides can call the hotline to apply for FEMA assistance or receive help with an application.
Starting Monday, Oct. 24, the Anchorage-based FEMA hotline will operate from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Saturday and will be closed on Sundays.
Applicants can apply for FEMA disaster assistance by:
- Calling 1-866-342-1699 for the FEMA Alaska-specific disaster hotline. For TTY users, dial 711. For TTY users with an out-of-state area code, dial 1-800-770-8973 for Alaska Relay.
- Going online to disasterassistance.gov.
- Downloading and applying through the FEMA mobile app.
The deadline to apply for FEMA assistance is Nov. 22, 2022.
FEMA’s Individual Assistance program may include grants for temporary housing expenses, basic home repairs, or other essential disaster-related needs that are not covered by insurance. In Alaska, subsistence items lost or damaged from the September storms may be eligible for assistance.
The State of Alaska also has an Individual Assistance program, which has a separate application process from FEMA’s. It is important that survivors apply for both FEMA and the State of Alaska’s disaster assistance programs.
If you are found ineligible for federal assistance, you may still qualify for assistance through the State of Alaska, but if you do not submit both applications it is possible that no assistance will be available to you.
- Survivors can apply for state assistance online at ready.alaska.gov/IA or by calling 844-445-7131. The deadline to apply for State of Alaska assistance is Nov. 17, 2022.
Some applicants may be referred to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) to apply for a disaster loan. Long-term, low-interest disaster loans for businesses, nonprofits, homeowners and renters may be available to cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other sources. Homeowners and renters should submit an SBA disaster loan application even if they are not sure they will need or want a loan.
Applicants may apply in the following ways:
- Go online at: https://disasterloanassistance.sba.gov/
- Call 1-(800) 659-2955, for TTY users please dial 711.
- Email email@example.com for more information on SBA disaster assistance.
For more information about FEMA’s support to Alaska’s severe storms, flooding and landslide recovery, visit the FEMA Disaster Site. Follow FEMA Region 10 on Twitter and LinkedIn for the latest updates.