Oklahoma Survivors Affected by Severe Winter Storms Reminded to Apply for Federal Disaster Assistance

Release Date Release Number
Release Date:
March 12, 2021

DENTON, Texas – Oklahomans in 16 counties designated for federal assistance should register with FEMA now if they sustained damage to their homes following the recent winter storms. Two weeks have passed since the president granted a major disaster declaration.

Disaster assistance can include grants to help pay for temporary housing, home repairs and other serious disaster-related expenses not met by insurance or other assistance programs.

The 16 eligible counties are Canadian, Carter, Cherokee, Comanche, Cotton, Hughes, Jefferson, Le Flore, McIntosh, Oklahoma, Okmulgee, Osage, Pittsburg, Stephens, Tulsa and Wagoner.

If you have insurance and are applying for disaster assistance, you must also file a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. By law, FEMA cannot duplicate benefits for losses covered by insurance. If insurance does not cover all your damage, you may be eligible for federal assistance.

The fastest and easiest way to apply is by visiting http://www.disasterassistance.gov.

If it is not possible to register online, call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585). The toll-free telephone lines operate from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CDT, seven days a week. Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, Innocaption or CapTel should update FEMA with their specific number assigned to that service.

When you apply for assistance, have the following information readily available:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted;
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying;
  • Your Social Security number, if available;
  • A general list of damage and losses;
  • If insured, the insurance policy number, or the agent and company name; and
  • Cause of damage. The cause of damage for this disaster is ice/snow even if you had flooding due to melting ice or snow or power loss due to snow and ice accumulation.

Residents are asked to save any photos taken to document damage and any receipts from purchases related to the cleanup and repair.

Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration are available to businesses, homeowners and renters. Call the SBA at 1-800-659-2955 (TTY: 800-877-8339) or visit www.sba.gov/services/disasterassistance.

Last updated