Main Content

Information for Homeowners

FEMA works with communities to produce flood maps that reflect current risks and to provide a sound basis for flood risk communication.

This page provides information on accessing Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs), requesting map amendments, and finding additional resources.

Fast Facts

  • Did you know that homes in the so-called "100-year" floodplain have a 26 percent chance of flooding over a 30-year period—the length of a typical mortgage?
  • Did you know that people living outside of the mapped floodplain file over 20 percent of National Flood Insurance Program claims and receive one third of FEMA’s disaster assistance for flooding?
  • Did you know that flood insurance is available to all property owners—even those living outside high-risk areas? Know the Facts.

How To View And Obtain Flood Maps

You can view historical, preliminary, and effective flood maps and other NFIP products through the FEMA Flood Map Service Center (MSC). Your local community map repository, usually located in the planning and zoning office, also has copies of flood maps. Please contact the FEMA Map Information eXchange to determine the location of your community’s map repository.

Change My Flood Zone Designation

Property owners who do not believe their lot or building is in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA), an area that would be affected by a base (1-percent-annual-chance) flooding event, can request a map amendment. FEMA uses the map amendment process to determine whether more precise, site-specific information indicates that a lot or structure does not belong in an SFHA.

An amendment request is submitted as either a Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) application, which applies to properties built on the natural grade of the land, or a Letter of Map Revision based on Fill (LOMR-F), for areas where the land was raised by placing fill.

Fill is defined as material from any source (including the subject property) placed that raises the ground to or above the Base Flood Elevation (BFE). The common construction practice of removing unsuitable existing material (topsoil) and backfilling with select structural material is not considered the placement of fill if the practice does not alter the existing (natural ground) elevation, which is at or above the BFE. Also, an area on which fill was placed before the date of the first flood map showing the area in a SFHA is considered as having a natural grade.

Applicants can use the Online LOMC, an internet-based tool, to easily request a flood map amendment. This tool is a convenient way for applicants to upload all information and supporting documentation and check the status of their application online. Users can submit LOMC requests through this tool instead of downloading paper forms and submitting via mail.

Frequently Asked Questions

For additional information about flood mapping and your community’s flood risk, visit the Frequently Asked Questions webpage for homeowners.

Get Assistance

For flood insurance-related questions, contact FloodSmart at 1-888-379-9531.

For flood mapping-related questions, please contact a Map Specialist at the FEMA Map Information eXchange through the following methods:

Subscribe to receive flood hazard mapping updates via email.

Last Updated: 
12/09/2019 - 09:16