The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Federal Insurance and Mitigation Administration (FIMA) has produced an array of useful resources for National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) and Flood Map Modernization (Map Mod) stakeholders, including participants in the FEMA Cooperating Technical Partners (CTP) Program.
Links to some of the most frequently used resources produced by or for FEMA are provided below. Select a category and follow the links to obtain information about these resources and instructions for downloading the resource(s) needed.
NFIP Legislation and Regulations
The legislation that enables the NFIP and the regulations instituted by FEMA to implement the legislation, are accessible through the links below.
- National Flood Insurance Act of 1968 and Flood Disaster Protection Act of 1973
- National Flood Insurance Reform Act of 1994
- Part 59: General Provisions
- Part 60: Criteria for Land Management Use
- Part 61: Insurance Coverage and Rates
- Part 62: Sale of Insurance and Adjustment of Claims
- Part 63: Implementation of Section 1307(c) of the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968
- Part 64: Communities Eligible for the Sale of Insurance
- Part 65: Identification and Mapping of Special Hazard Areas
- Part 66: Consultation with Local Officials
- Part 67: Appeals from Proposed Flood Elevation Determinations
- Part 68: Administrative Hearing Procedures
- Part 70: Procedure for Map Correction
- Part 71: Implementation of Coastal Barrier Legislation
- Part 72: Procedures & Fees for Processing Map Changes
- Title 44 - Emergency Management and Assistance
Map Modernization Information
Cooperating Technical Partners (CTP) Program Information
FEMA developed the resources below for state agencies, regional entities and communities who are participating in the CTP Program or who are considering participation in the CTP Program.
- CTP Frequently Asked Questions
- Guidance for CTP Program Reporting
- Mapping Activity Statement Template for the CTP Program
- Partnership Agreement Template for CTP Program
Current Guidance for Flood Hazard Mapping Partners
FEMA produced the resources below for FEMA, mapping partner and contractor staff that are actively involved in the production and processing of new and updated flood hazard maps in support of the NFIP.
- Appeals, Revisions and Amendments to National Flood Insurance Program Maps: A Guide for Community Officials
- Coastal Flood Hazard Mapping Requirements - Guidelines and Specifications
- Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) Database Technical Reference
- Document Control Procedures Manual
- Floodplain Modeling Manual: HEC-RAS Procedures for HEC-2 Modelers
- Guidelines and Specifications for Flood Hazard Mapping Partners
- Guidelines and Specifications for Flood Hazard Mapping Partners - Procedure Memorandums
- HEC-RAS Version Updates
- Levee Information for Stakeholders
- Policy for Accepting GIS Tools for Flood Hazard Mapping in the NFIP
- Policy for Use of HEC-RAS in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- Use of Digital Flood Hazard Data
- The Zone A Manual: Managing Floodplain Development in Approximate Zone A Areas
Letter of Map Change Process Information
- Flood Map-Related Fees
- Letter of Map Amendment (LOMA) and Letter of Map Revision Based on Fill (LOMR-F) Processes
- LOMA and LOMR-F Tutorials
- Questions and Answers Regarding the New Rules of 44 CFR Part 65
- Final Rule for 44 CFR Part 65
- Current version of Part 65, with the May 4, 2001, Final Rule Incorporated
- Technical Bulletin 10-01 - Ensuring That Structures Built on Fill In or Near Special Flood Hazard Areas Are Reasonably Safe From Flooding
Compendium of Flood Map Changes
The Compendium of Flood Map Changes is a list of all the changes made to the NFIP maps including Physical Map Revisions, Letters of Map Revision (LOMRs), LOMR-Fs and LOMAs during a given 6-month period. The list also includes and Letter of Map Change Revalidation (LOMC-VALID) letters and Summary of Map Actions (SOMA) documents issued for studies and restudies. The list is published every 6 months as a Notice in the Federal Register. The compendium is primarily used by insurance and lending industry stakeholders.
Other Hazards Studies and Reports
The FEMA resources below were produced to provide information regarding flood hazards and other natural hazards. These resources do not directly apply to the production and processing of new and updated flood hazard maps.
- Future-Conditions Hydrology
- Multi Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment
- Riverine Erosion Hazard Areas Mapping Feasibility Study
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Assessment of Structural Flood-Control Measures on Alluvial Fans
Supporting Technical Documentation for Acceptable Models
For More Information
For flood insurance related questions, contact FloodSmart at 1-888-379-9531. For flood mapping-related questions, please contact a Map Specialist at the FEMA Map Information eXchange through the following methods:
- Call (1-877) FEMA MAP (1-877-336-2627) Monday through Friday, 8:00 am through 6:30 pm (EST)
- Email FEMAMapSpecialist@riskmapcds.com
- Chat with a Map Specialist Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm (EST)
Please register to receive FEMA Flood Hazard Mapping activities updates via e-mail.