Call Disaster Legal Services at 1-877-691-6185 for free legal services, Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please leave a voicemail message if prompted and an attorney will return your call.
Free legal aid to residents of Jackson and Jasper counties affected by the June tornadoes who have insufficient funds to hire an attorney.
Ask Questions About
- Contractors and home repair contracts.
- Insurance claims and policy holder rights.
- FEMA decisions and the right to appeal (see page 2 for more information on appeals).
- Landlords and tenant rights.
- Mortgages and threats of foreclosure.
- Proving home ownership.
- Wills and powers of attorney.
- Replacing or redoing legal documents lost or damaged.
- Possible scams and identity theft.
When You Call
- You will hear a generic prompt to leave a message.
- Leave your name and phone number, at minimum.
- In addition to your contact information…
- State the storm-related legal problem you need help solving.
- State the city and county of your storm-damaged property.
The volunteer attorneys are not FEMA employees. Any information you share with these attorneys is kept confidential. They do not share information with FEMA.
Disaster Legal Services
The program is a partnership between FEMA, the American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, and other legal associations. Partners cannot help in all cases. For example, they cannot take cases where a settlement could include legal fees or an award. But they can refer such cases to other legal help.