U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites..

Hurricane Zeta Recovery Update 009

Release Date:
March 22, 2021


Registration deadline has passed, but many resources available

More than 4,800 Mississippi individuals and households have received disaster assistance from FEMA for Hurricane Zeta. The registration period ended March 1, but recovery support continues to be available through agencies and organizations in the state.

Survivors in George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson and Stone counties who applied with FEMA can check the status of their applications, ask questions and get information in several ways:

  • Visit DisasterAssistance.gov
  • Use the FEMA App for smartphones
  • Call 800-621-3362 (800-462-7585 TTY). Multilingual operators are available every day from 6 a.m. to

10 p.m. Central time. Those who use a relay service such as a videophone, InnoCaption or CapTel should provide FEMA with their specific phone number assigned to that service.

Survivors who were unable to apply before the deadline and who can provide justification for late registration may contact FEMA and request consideration for disaster assistance.

Resources for disaster recovery

A Volunteer Resource Center for Hurricane Zeta is located at the Knight Nonprofit Center, 1975 Seaway Road in Gulfport, to assist with unmet needs. Call 228-265-7910 to volunteer. For those needing assistance, call United Way at 228-896-2213.

  • George County Emergency Operations Center: 601-947-7557
  • Greene County Emergency Operations Center: 601-394-5627
  • Hancock County Resource Center (for critical housing needs): 228-364-4044
  • Harrison County Assistance Line (United Way of South Mississippi): 228-896-2213
  • Jackson County Emergency Services: 228-769-3111
  • Stone County Emergency Management Agency: 601-928-3077

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Disaster Distress Helpline provides ’round-the-clock, confidential crisis counseling and support 365 days a year to people experiencing emotional distress related to all disasters. Residents in the United States and its territories can connect with a trained counselor by calling or texting the toll-free hotline at 800-985-5990. You may also visit www.samhsa.gov.

Mississippi Community Resource Directory: This online directory of community resources provides information for disaster survivors with developmental or other disabilities. Resource categories include ADD, childcare, eye care, physical therapy, sign language, speech, support groups and rehabilitation. Visit www.mscrd.org.

Mississippi Department of Human Services: The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), formerly known as the food stamp program, provides monthly benefits that help low-income households buy the food they need for good health. To apply, visit www.mdhs.ms.gov/economic-assistance/snap/. For SNAP Support, call 800-948-3050. To report SNAP Fraud, call 800-299-6905.

Mississippi Department of Human Services - Services for Seniors: These area agencies offer local nutrition and transportation services, case management and family caregiver support. Visit the website at  www.mdhs.ms.gov/adults-seniors/services-for-seniors. You may also call 601-359-4500.

Mississippi Department of Human Services Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) provides benefits for families with needy children under age 18. Call 800-345-6347 (press 6 for community services; press 7 for youth services) or 601-359-4500. Visit  https://www.mdhs.ms.gov/economic-assistance/tanf/.

Mississippi Farm Services Agency: USDA's Farm Service Agency provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters or quarantine. Call 601-965-4300 and press 3 for loans. You may also visit https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Mississippi/index.

Mississippi Attorney General’s Office offers information on price gouging and consumer complaint services. Call 601-359-3680 or visit https://www.ago.state.ms.us/.

Mississippi Department of Public Safety-Driver Services provides duplicate driver’s license, renews drivers’ licenses, driver services. Call 601-987-1212 or visit https://www.dps.ms.gov.

Mississippi Department of Health-Vital Records and Statistics offers replacement birth, death and marriage certificates and other vital document services. Call 601-206-8200 or visit  http://www.msdh.state.ms.us/msdhsite/_static/31,0,109.html.

IRS Disaster Assistance: You may be eligible to deduct the loss or partial loss of your home, household goods and motor vehicles from disaster damage on your individual federal income tax. Call the IRS Disaster Assistance Hotline: 866-562-5227 Monday–Friday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Central time. Visit the website at www.irs.gov/ or contact your tax professional.

Contributions: Individuals who want to contribute to Hurricane Zeta relief efforts can do so through the Mississippi Community Disaster Relief and Recovery fund, www.formississippi.org (click the donate button) or text DONATE to 601-258-6502.

A Disaster Legal Services hotline is available to assist low-income residents with legal issues related to Hurricane Zeta recovery in Mississippi. Call 877-691-6185 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday.

For a list of agencies and organizations in Mississippi, click here.

By the numbers (3/22/2021)

  • 4,827 individuals and households approved for $17.39 million in FEMA assistance, including:
    • $14.4 million approved for housing assistance
    • $2.99 million approved for other disaster-related needs
  • $23.9 million in SBA loans approved for 877 applicants
  • 829 claims filed with the National Flood Insurance Program; $11.1 million paid

Understanding your FEMA eligibility letter

Applicants for FEMA assistance will receive a letter from FEMA by mail or email. It is important to read it carefully because it will include the amount of any assistance FEMA may provide to you and information on the appropriate use of disaster assistance funds. You may need to submit additional information for FEMA to continue to process your application.

Examples of missing documentation may include proof of insurance coverage, settlement of insurance claims, proof of identity, proof of occupancy, proof of ownership, or proof that the damaged property was your primary residence at the time of the disaster.

If you have questions about the letter, you can get answers by going online to DisasterAssistance.gov or calling the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY 800-462-7585).

FEMA Public Assistance (PA)

Under the major disaster declaration, FEMA is authorized to provide Public Assistance for debris removal, emergency measures and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged public facilities such as roads and bridges, water control facilities, buildings and equipment, utilities and parks for the following counties: George, Greene, Hancock, Harrison, Jackson, Perry, Stone and Wayne.

For guidance on debris removal processes, residents should contact their local government.

Last updated March 22, 2021