This page features installation and launch instructions for FEMA’s Benefit-Cost Analysis (BCA) Toolkit Version 6.0. You can use BCA Toolkit 6.0 in Excel Desktop or in Excel Online.
The following directions are for using BCA Toolkit 6.0 in the desktop version of Excel. (Excel 2013 or newer is required.)
- Click the “Download the BCA Toolkit Version 6.0” button on the Benefit-Cost Analysis page and open the Excel file.
- (FEMA computers should skip this step) In the Insert tab, in the Add-ins section, click on My Add-ins. Select the Store option and search for FEMA Benefit-Cost Analysis Calculator. Click Add.
- On the Home tab, you should now see the FEMA BCA V6.0 icon in the upper righthand ribbon.
- Click on the FEMA BCA V6.0 icon. A sidebar will open.
- Click Open Calculator to begin your BCA.
- The add-in window will open and take you to the home screen. From here you can start a new project by clicking Add Project.
- To save your work, click "Finish" on the second screen, close the add-in window, and save the Excel file, renaming it as desired.
The following directions are for using BCA Toolkit 6.0 in Excel Online. Excel Online works best in Firefox and Chrome browsers.
- Click the “Download the BCA Toolkit Version 6.0” button on the Benefit-Cost Analysis page and save the Excel file to your machine or OneDrive.
- If you do not already have one, create a free Office 365 account.
- Once logged in, open Excel Online by clicking on the Excel icon under Apps.
- Open the file BCA_Toolkit_6.xlsx in Excel Online by clicking Upload a Workbook.
- In the Insert tab, click Office Add-ins. Select the Store option and search for FEMA Benefit-Cost Analysis Calculator. Click Add. (If you get a message saying Microsoft 365 has been configured to prevent individual acquisition of Office Add-ins, you can sign out and sign in using a personal account.)
- You should now see the FEMA BCA button in the top righthand side in the Home tab.
- To launch the Toolkit, click on the FEMA BCA button. A sidebar will open.
- Click Open Calculator. You may be asked if you want to allow your browser to open another window. Click Allow.
- The add-in window will open and take you to the Home screen. From here you can start a new project by clicking Add Project.
- To save your work, click “Finish” on the second screen and close the add-in window. IMPORTANT: You must make sure to save a copy of the file to your local machine by clicking File, Save As, Download a Copy, and choosing the “Open with Microsoft Excel” option. Once the file opens, click File, Save As, and save a copy to your local machine. To reopen the file in Excel Online, click Upload a Workbook and navigate to the file on your local machine.
FEMA’s BCA Helpline is available to provide assistance using the BCA Toolkit, including with troubleshooting technical issues. The BCA Helpline cannot review or perform benefit-cost analysis. For help reviewing or performing BCA, or to ask eligibility or policy questions, please contact your local state hazard mitigation officer.
The BCA Helpline’s hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. (EST), Monday through Friday. Email questions to email@example.com or call toll free at 1-855-540-6744.