We encourage all emergency managers to review our latest COVID-19 fact sheets for details on federal assistance programs and guidelines.
Organizations can email best practices or lessons learned to email@example.com.
FEMA does not endorse any non-government entities, organizations, or services. Claims made by third parties have not been independently verified by FEMA.
Get the latest public health information on coronavirus at www.coronavirus.gov.
View our collection of key findings and considerations for jurisdictions and communities regarding ongoing COVID-19 pandemic operations across the country. They cover topics such as:
- Food Banks
- Government Engagement with Citizens
- Considerations for People with Disabilities
- Community Emergency Response Teams
- Volunteer Management
View All Case Studies
Many communities are responding to COVID-19 in innovative ways that highlight the best of American ingenuity.
- An Alabama-based company creates custom-made, digitally-fitted masks that meld to every contour of a person's face.
- A new platform matches elder or immunocompromised residents in Oakland, CA, with low-risk volunteers who can help them during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The University of Oregon's Institute for Health in the Built Environment is piloting the incorporation of regular testing of building surfaces and air ducts for the virus.
View All Community Innovation Stories
- Disability Considerations (NEW)
This document provides guidance to state, local, tribal, and territorial (SLTT) governments on how best to ensure that people with disabilities have adequate access to goods and services during the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.
- Library Support
This document describes how public libraries are supporting local government partners, healthcare workers, and emergency responders by providing access to facilities and internet access to safely continue operations during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Connecting Consumers with Local Food
This document describes how, as the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic hampers traditional farming and threatened food supply chains raising concerns about widespread food shortages and price increases, countries, cities, and private citizens have begun to expand local food production through family and community gardens to supplement forecasted disruption to supply chains.
- Sustaining Nutritional Needs for At-Risk Individuals
Millions of Americans rely on a range of at-home and community-based food services. Sustain and expand home delivered meal programs to meet nutritional needs of at-risk individuals.
View All Helping People Best Practices
Other "Helping People" Resources
- Mass Care/Emergency Assistance Pandemic Planning Considerations Guide (FEMA)
- Feeding in COVID-19 Congregate Shelters (American Red Cross)
- Sheltering in COVID-19 Affected Areas (American Red Cross)
- COVID-19 Response and Homelessness: An Action and Resource Guide (HUD)
- The Louisiana State University NCBRT (NEW)
A nationally recognized center for emergency management training, has developed a range of COVID-19 resources and trainings for emergency responders that can be completed online.
- Natural Hazards Preparedness
This document describes recommendations and best practices for state, local, tribal, and territorial officials when managing the risks posed simultaneously by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic and natural hazards.
- Government Engagement with Citizens
This document discusses the methods through which jurisdictions have been assessing constituent needs to inform response efforts and identify relevant pieces of information to share with their communities.
- Pandemic Operational Guidance
To help emergency managers and public health officials prepare for the 2020 hurricane season and other disasters during COVID-19.
View All Government Operations Best Practices
Other "Government Operations" Resources
- Exercise Starter Kit for Preparedness in a Pandemic
- Risk Management for Novel Coronavirus (CISA)
- State Level Information for Essential Workers Seeking Child Care (HHS)
- Guidance for First Responders on Patient Privacy during COVID-19 (HHS)
- Guidance on Preparing Workplaces for COVID-19 (DOL)
Private Sector And Infrastructure
- Nuclear Industry Response
This document is a list of key findings and considerations for jurisdictions and communities regarding use of Nuclear medical technology applications and Nuclear energy during the ongoing coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic operations.
- Longer-Term Business Reopening
This document discusses the strategies, supported by guidance from federal, state, and local governments, that businesses across various sectors can implement to protect employees and customers from COVID-19 as businesses begin phased reopening.
- Re-Orienting Business Production
Companies across industries repurposed their production capabilities to support the response to the coronavirus pandemic disease (COVID-19).
View All Private Sector And Infrastructure Best Practices
Recovery Planning and Implementation
- Unemployment Insurance
This document highlights some examples of strategies states and territories have implemented to help individuals file unemployment insurance claims.
- Reconstitution Planning
Organizations across the nation are grappling with when and how to resume operations while protecting the well-being and safety of their employees and communities.
- Financial Management
The recently released Disaster Financial Management Guide can help a jurisdiction successfully use all available federal resources for disaster recovery, including the COVID-19 Supplemental Funding.
- Environmental and Historic Preservation
Identify emergency protective measures for COVID-19 that may adversely affect natural, historic, and/or archaeological resources. Learn how to comply with environmental and historic preservation laws, regulations, and executive orders.
View All Recovery Planning And Implementation Best Practices
Other "Recovery Planning and Implementation" Resources
Medical Supplies And Equipment
- Preserving Personal Protective Equipment
A summary of best practices for sustaining personal protective equipment (PPE) while ensuring workers are protected during the COVID-19 pandemic response.
- Medical Assistance Request Considerations
Jurisdictions should consider what actions they can take to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and creatively think about how they can meet resource requirements.
Other "Medical Supplies And Equipment" Resources
- Key Strategies to Prepare for COVID-19 in Long-term Care Facilities (CDC)
- ASPR TRACIE COVID-19 Information Exchange (HHS)
- Strategies for Optimizing the Supply of N95 Respirators (CDC)
- Optimizing Ventilator Use during the COVID-19 Pandemic (HHS)
- Rapid Expert Consultation on Crisis Standards of Carex (HHS)
- Guidance on COVID-19 (CDC)