alert - warning

This page has not been translated into Swahili. Visit the Swahili page for resources in that language.

Wisconsin State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Wisconsin State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesWisconsin Department of Health Services: Long Term Care and SupportThis service links those who need assistance with state and local area agencies on aging and community-based organization.  Long-term care is any service or support that you may need because of a disability, getting older, or a chronic illness that limits your ability to do the things that are part of your daily routine. This includes things such as bathing, getting dressed, making meals, going to work, and paying bills.General:  608-266-1865
TTY:  711 or 888-701-1251
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesWisconsin Department of Health Services: Office For the Deaf and Hard of HearingCounseling, Benefits review, training, Deaf-Blind resources, mental health resources, communications devices, technology accommodations, and interpreter services.General:  608-266-1865
TTY:  711 or 888-701-1251
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesWisTech: Wisconsin's Assistive Technology ProgramDevice Demonstrations allow people to compare features and benefits of a particular assistive technology device to make an informed choice before purchasing a device. Short-term loans of assistive technology devices. Refurbishment, recycling and/or repair of assistive technology devices
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesIndependence First Services and resources for people with disabilities including benefits counseling, training, personal services, and additional information and referrals.  The Mobility Store provides discounted Durable Medical Equipment. IndependenceFirst is Metro Milwaukee's FIRST resource when people have questions regarding access and disability.  They offer over 20 Programs & Services to people with disabilities of all kinds, in all age groups and provide programs on disability awareness, employment tips and access to the general community. 414-291-7520: Milwaukee
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesIndependent Living ResourcesServing Buffalo, Crawford, Grant, Iowa, Jackson, Juneau, La Crosse, Lafayette, Monroe, Richland, Sauk, Trempealeau, & Vernon Counties.  Centers for Independent Living  (CILs) help people with disabilities achieve or maintain more self-sufficient and productive lives in their communities.  Assistive Technology, Skills Training, Benefits Analysis, and housng.
La Cross:  608-787-1111
Aging ServicesWisconsin Department of Health Services: Aging ServicesPrograms and services for older adults  This includes benefit counseling, health care, family care, social activities, prescription help, nutrition, caregiver support, transportation, employment and volunteer opportunities.General:  608-266-1865
TTY:  888-701-1251
Agricultural AidUSDA - Wisconsin Farm ServicesUSDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.  Online office locator by county.Service Center Locator
Agricultural AidWisconsin Department of AgricultureResources for farmers and consumers.  Licenses, permits, animal health, consumer protection, food safety, land and water conservation, and other programs.608-224-5012
TDD 608-224-5058
Agricultural AidWisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA)Economic development, agricultural and business loans, production loans, modernization loans, low-cost financing programs.800-334-6873
TTY 800-947-3529
Existing WHEDA Mortgage:
Animal Health & AssistanceAnimal Emergency CareTechnical Rescues, education and training.Toll free: 800-386-8684
Consumer ServicesWisconsin Department of Justice: Consumer ProtectionConsumer protection alerts, consumer resources, information on scams, price gouging and consumer complaint services.  Online complaint form available.800-422-7128
ContractorsWisconsin Department of Safety and Professional ServicesContractor's online license verification and consumer complaints services.608-266-2112
Crisis CounselingWisconsin Crisis HotlinesListing of local Suicide and Crisis Hotlines by county, 24/7 support is available for anyone in crisis.Emergency: 911
Suicide Hotline 800-784-2433
See county listing for local hotlines.
Disaster Specific Information   
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceWisconsin Department of Workforce Development: Unemployment BenefitsWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance is activated, the agency will provide disaster information.  This assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.Madison Area: 608-232-0678
Milwaukee Area: 414-438-7700
Toll Free 800-438-7713
TTY 888-393-8914
Environmental QualityWisconsin Department of Health and Human Services: Environmental HealthEnvironmental Health Topics listed alphabetically, information on hazards, and how to protect yourself and your family.608-266-1865
TTY 888-701-1251
Essential NeedsFoodShare WisconsinFoodShare Wisconsin helps low-income families and individuals to buy nutritious food.  Information about eligibility requirements and application for benefits.608-266-1865
  TTY 888-701-1251
Essential NeedsWisconsin Department of Health & Family Services:  The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP) is a federal program that provides food commodities to distribution sites.  Locator by county for providers in that area608-267-9071
See online locator 
Essential NeedsWisconsin Department of Health Services: Women, Infants and Children (WIC) ProgramSpecial Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC).  Nutrition evaluation and monthly coupons to receive supplemental, highly nutritious foods such as cereal, cheese, milk, eggs, peanut butter and dried beans.800-642-7837
Contact a local WIC office near you.
Essential NeedsFeeding America - WisconsinThe Feeding America nationwide network of food banks provides emergency food assistance.  Contact your local community food bank to find food.  Online search by zip code for local food banks.See online locator
Essential Needs2-1-1 WisconsinReferrals to organizations providing emergency food, clothing, shelter, medical, crisis counseling, rental, and utility assistance.  Online database to find community resources.211
Family & Protective ServicesWisconsin Department of Children and Families:  Child Protective ServicesIndividuals concerned with children at risk for abuse and neglect.  Report Child Abuse to the county the child resides, online agency locator for contact information.Emergency: 911
See Agency locator
Family & Protective ServicesWisconsin Board on Aging and Long-term Care - Adult Abuse Individuals concerned with possible elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation. Report Adult Abuse to the county the elder resides in, online county map locator for county contact.Emergency:  911
See County locator
Family & Protective ServicesWisconsin Child Care FinderWisconsin Department of Children and Families, regulated child care database, online search available.608-422-7000
Financial AssistanceWisconsin Department of Children and Families:  Supportive ServicesSupportive services available to low-income parents, and low-income individuals without children.  Information on cash assistance services such as burial services, emergency assistance, and Wisconsin Works (W-2), information on childhood care and education, employment, education and training, medical, food, and housing, and victim services.608-422-7000 
Financial AssistanceWisconsin Department Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection: Financial CounselingThe Wisconsin Farm Center has financial experts who are trained in a wide range of farm-related subject areas. They can provide assistance with feasibility analysis, enterprise analysis, along with restructuring and cash flow projections. These experts can personally assist you and answer your specific questions. They can also provide you with useful resources.800-942-2474
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesWisconsin Department of Health Services:  Health Care and CoverageState health care and coverage, Medicaid, information about health assistance programs and medical information.  Includes BadgerCare Plus, a health care coverage program for low-income Wisconsin residents.800-362-3002
Housing InformationWisconsin HUDHousing and Urban Development (HUD),  rental help, subsidized apartment search, home ownership resources, avoid foreclosure, and housing resources.  Milwaukee Field Office:
Housing InformationWisconsin Housing and Economic Development Authority (WHEDA)Rental Assistance information, resources for home ownership, economic development, low-cost financing programs.Madison:  608-266-7884
TTY: 800-947-3529
Milwaukee:  414-227-4039
InsuranceWisconsin Office of the Commissioner of Insurance:  ConsumersGeneral insurance information, consumer topics, online agency verification, consumer alerts,  and online complaint reporting services.608-266-3585
Legal ServicesState Bar of Wisconsin:  PublicProvide attorney referrals, arbitration, public education, and information about reduced fee services for low income state residents. 608-257-3838
Online Lawyer Search
Roadside AssistanceWisconsin 511 Travel InformationTraffic advisories, urgent alerts, road conditions, online traffic map, travel services and safety information.511
Tax AssistanceWisconsin Department of Revenue State tax information for individuals and businesses.  Tax forms, publications, common questions, and online services.  608-266-2772
Individuals: (608) 266‑2486  Businesses: (608) 266‑2776
Veterans ServicesWisconsin Department of Veteran Affairs Information regarding veteran benefits including pensions, medical care, home loans, burial, and life insurance.800-947-8387
Claims Assistance:
Vital StatisticsWisconsin Department of Transportation: Driver ServicesReplacement identification and drivers licenses, vehicle registration and title services, crash reports, and address change.  Online services available and DMV service center locations.608-264-7447
Vital StatisticsWisconsin Vital Record ServicesReplacement birth, death, marriage certificates and other vital documents.608-266-1373

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024