alert - warning

This page has not been translated into Swahili. Visit the Swahili page for resources in that language.

Kansas State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Kansas State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesKansas - Commission on Developmental DisabilitiesInformation on state and public resources for people with disabilities. 877-431-4604
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesKansas Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Counseling, training, communications devices, and interpreter services.800-432-0698
TTY: 785-368-8046
VP: 785-246-5077
Aging ServicesKansas Department of Aging servicesThis service links those who need assistance with state and local area agencies on aging and community-based organization.800-432-3535 
TTY: 785-291-3167
Agricultural AidKansas USDA Farm Service Agency (FSA)USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.785-539-3531
Agricultural AidKansas USDA Rural Development USDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 785-271-2700
Animals/PetsHumane Society of Greater Kansas City Information on emergency animal healthcare and sheltering services.913-596-1000
Animals/PetsKansas Humane Society (Wichita)Information on emergency animal healthcare and sheltering services.316-524-9196
CitizenshipImmigration Advocates and Nonprofit Resource CenterDirectory of Kansas Immigration Legal ServicesResource Directory
Consumer ServicesKansas Attorney General's Office (Consumer Protection Hotline)Information on price gouging and consumer complaint services.800-432-2310
ContractorsKansas Attorney General, Consumer Protection, Roofing Information on price gouging and consumer complaint services.  Roofing Contractor Directory800-432-2310
ContractorsKansas licensure of general contractors is county and/or city may be required.    Licensure is required for the electrical trade.   Every "roofing contractor" must obtain a roofing contractor registration certificate.  
Crisis CounselingKansas Suicide & Crisis Hotlines24-hour and toll-free suicide prevention service available to all those in suicidal crisis who are seeking help.  Directory of crisis lines and mental health services.Emergency: 911
Online directory
Disaster Specific  Information   
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceKansas Workforce Development - Department of Labor - UnemploymentThis assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.General:  800-292-633
Kansas City:  913-596-3500
Topeka: 785-575-1460
Wichita:  316-383-9947
EnvironmentAttorney General Office - Complaints 785-296-2215
Essential NeedsKansas Department for Children and Families: Food AssistanceInformation and assistance in filing for the Kansas Food Assistance Program, which is the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food stamps). Online directory of Regional offices and Service centers. 785-296-3271
Online Directory of Hotlines and Regional Offices and Services Centers
Essential NeedsKansas Department of Health and Environment: Women, Infants, Children (WIC)WIC is a nutrition program that provides nutrition and health education, healthy food and other services to Kansas families who qualify.  Nutrition evaluation and monthly coupons to receive supplemental, highly nutritious foods such as cereal, cheese, milk, eggs, peanut butter and dried beans.General: 785-296-1500
Essential NeedsKansas Food Bank (Wichita)  Referrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance.316-265-3663
Essential NeedsKansas Food BanksReferrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance.Hotline: 316-265-4421
Online Directory of local offices
Essential NeedsHearthLand Community Health Center (Food Pantry)Food Pantry and Health clinic serves Lawrence, Kansas and surrounding area.785-841-7297
Family and Protective ServicesKansas Department for Children and Families: Prevention and Protection ServicesIndividuals concerned with children and adults at risk for abuse and neglect.Emergency: 911
Family and Protective ServicesKansas Department for Children and Families,  -  Hotline numbersHotline number for Human TraffickingEmergency: 911

Financial AssistanceKansas Department for Children and Families-Temporary Cash Assistance Information on filing for state financial assistance including Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)Customer Service: 833-765-2003
TTY: 785-296-1491
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health CareKansas Department of Health & Environment:  Medicaid and CHIPInformation and assistance in filing for Medicaid, and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP). 800-792-4884
HousingSocial - Housing Resource is a non-profit organization that assist tenants and agencies in finding affordable housing for callers free of charge. Using a toll-free number, callers work with trained, bilingual call center specialists to find available housing. 877-428-8844
HousingKansas USDA Rural Development Agency provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgage, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 785-271-2700
Identity TheftKansas Attorney General Office - Consumer ProtectionProtecting Kansas consumers from scams, telemarketing fraud and other deceptive practices 800-432-2310
InsuranceKansas Department of InsuranceGeneral insurance information and fraud reporting services.Consumer Hotline: 800-432-2484
TTY/TTD 877-235-3151
Legal ServicesKansas Bar AssociationInformation and referrals to attorneys providing legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.785-234-5696 
Lawyer Referral Hotline:
Legal ServicesLegal Aid of Kansas Access Line Information and referrals to attorneys providing free and reduced legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.800-723-6953
Roadside Assistance Kansasa Department of Roads - 511 Information SystemRecorded road condition information.511
Tax PreparationKansas Department of Revenue - Tax AssistanceState tax information assistance.785-368-8222
Veterans ServicesKansas Department of Veteran Affairs Information regarding veteran benefits including pensions, medical care, home loans, burial, and life insurance.785-296-3976
Vital StatisticsKansas Division of Vehicles:  Driver ServicesDuplicate drivers licenses, auto registrations and title services.  Online services, and directory of local driver license offices.Online Directory of Local Offices
Vital StatisticsKansas - Office of Vital StatisticsReplacement birth/death/marriage certificates and other vital document services.785-296-1400

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024