ROVER is mobile software that automates paper-based screening procedures.
Rapid Visual Screening of Buildings for Potential Seismic Hazards: A Handbook. Second Edition (FEMA 154) is a paper-based method to rapidly compile a building database from field observations. This pre-earthquake screening tool is widely used to inventory portfolios of buildings and to identify those that might pose a risk in the event of earthquakes and warrant additional study. The FEMA 154 process helps a building owner address the greatest risks and prioritize building evaluation and rehabilitation.
ROVER, Rapid Observation of Vulnerability and Estimation of Risk, is FEMA’s free mobile software that automates the paper-based screening procedures taught in FEMA P-154 and ATC-20. The recently updated ROVER Version 2.0.1 includes many productivity-enhancing features, including:
- Works on any device with a web browser and data connection
- Includes RedROVER, software for exporting ROVER pre-earthquake data to FEMA’s HAZUS-MH 2.1
- Screen layout automatically adapts to the data-entry device: smartphone, tablet, or PC
- Remotely manage screening
- One-time data entry to a built-in database
- Capture digital photos and geolocation
- Import pre-existing data
- Integrates with USGS ShakeCast (ROVER Edition) for seismic monitoring of buildings
An updated edition of FEMA P-154 ROVER CD will soon be available from the FEMA Publications Warehouse. The beta version of ROVER and an updated user manual are available from the user group ROVER Ready Alliance.