FEMA Provides $1.3 Million to the Illinois Emergency Management Agency

Release Date Release Number
Release Date:
May 5, 2021

CHICAGO – The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) announced today that $1,354,956 in federal funding has been made available to IEMA for costs related to the state’s response to severe storms and flooding under the federal disaster declaration of September 19, 2019.

This funding will reimburse IEMA for donated resources used to implement emergency protective measures to safeguard the well-being of Illinoisans during the storms and flooding in 2019. Using a mutual aid agreement with the American Red Cross, IEMA provided sheltering, food, clean-up kits and other supplies to communities affected by the disaster.

“FEMA’s Public Assistance Program is an important resource for communities after disasters,” said Kevin M. Sligh, acting regional administrator, FEMA Region 5.  “This grant funding supported the state’s disaster response and ensured the safety of lives and property when severe storms and flooding impacted the state in 2019.”

FEMA provides a 75 percent federal share of eligible reimbursable expenses for this project. The remaining 25 percent will be paid by IEMA.

FEMA’s Public Assistance Program provides funding to local government jurisdictions and eligible private non-profits for the repair, replacement, or restoration of disaster-damaged infrastructure as well as costs incurred for debris removal, disaster cleanup and emergency actions taken to protect lives or property. To learn more, visit FEMA’s website at www.fema.gov/public-assistance-local-state-tribal-and-non-profit.

# # #

FEMA's mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters.

Last updated