Businesses and Farmers Hurt by Disaster Can Seek Help

Release Date Release Number
Release Date:
August 3, 2018

AUSTIN, Texas – While FEMA does not provide direct assistance to businesses or commercial farms, under the agency’s Individuals and Households Program, people (including farmers) whose homes were damaged or destroyed or who qualify for other-needs assistance can seek help from FEMA.


Disaster assistance is available through other federal agencies to businesses and farms that have suffered damage to business property or economic losses as a direct result of a presidentially declared disaster. Economic-injury loans are available to businesses located in Cameron, Hidalgo and Jim Wells counties and in all contiguous counties.


Low-interest disaster loans are available through the Small Business Administration and the Farm Service Agency to repair or replace damaged property not covered by insurance and to provide working capital. The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Extension Service provides information and materials on such topics as cleanup of damaged property.


Disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations.


SBA offers low-interest disaster loans to businesses of any size and nonprofits up to $2 million to repair or replace damaged or destroyed real estate, machinery and equipment, inventory, and other business assets.


For small businesses, small agricultural cooperatives, small businesses engaged in aquaculture, and nonprofits, SBA offers Economic Injury Disaster Loans to help meet working capital needs caused by the disaster. Economic Injury Disaster Loan assistance is available regardless of whether the business suffered any property damage.


Apply online using SBA’s secure website at Apply in person at any Disaster Recovery Center and receive personal, one-on-one help from an SBA representative. For more information or to find a location near you, visit SBA’s website at or call SBA at (800) 659-2955. Individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing may call (800) 877-8339.

Last updated