U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov

A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS

A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites..

Wells May be Eligible for FEMA Assistance

Release Date Release Number

MIDLAND, Mich. –– Michigan residents who lost access to water through their private wells due to the May disaster could be considered for financial assistance under FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program.

Even if your primary residence itself was not damaged, you may still be eligible for disaster assistance if your private well is dry, damaged or collapsed.

The cost of drilling a new well may be considered for federal funding if the private well is the sole source of water for the primary residence and is unusable, even if it is not damaged.

Steps to take to be considered for assistance with your private well:

  • If you have not yet registered with FEMA you should call 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462- 7585). The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. ET seven days a week until further notice. Or register online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or through the FEMA App. During the registration process, make sure to report any impacts to your well as a result of the disaster.
  • If you have registered for FEMA assistance and have not had a home inspection you should let the FEMA inspector know if you have a private well. If you have already had an inspection and the well wasn’t reported, you may send FEMA a dated and signed letter, along with a contractor’s estimate, indicating you are appealing for the well.

In situations where you receive FEMA assistance for your private well, but additional help for these costs is necessary, you may submit an appeal:

  • You should provide to FEMA a verifiable estimate/receipt indicating the well was physically damaged, collapsed, and/or is no longer producing potable water as a direct result of the disaster. You will need to include a dated and signed written letter, along with the contractor’s estimate, indicating they are appealing for the well.
  • If the submitted estimates/receipts do not specifically include this information, FEMA will call the contractor to confirm the information.
  • Note: Upon appeal, FEMA may pay the actual cost for drilling (not to exceed 400 linear feet, on the first appeal) when a verified contractor’s estimate is on file. If the contractor reaches 400 linear feet and needs to continue to drill further, FEMA will accept a verbal confirmation from the contractor, and process an additional appeal award at actual cost.

You may always contact the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 (TTY: 800-462-7585) if you have any questions about your disaster assistance options.

Last updated July 27, 2020