alert - warning

This page has not been translated into 한국어. Visit the 한국어 page for resources in that language.

Indiana State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Indiana State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesDisability and Rehabilitative Services (DDRS)Information on state and public resources for citizens with disabilities. 800-545-7763
TDD: 800-962-8408
Online directory for local offices
Aging ServicesIndiana Division of AgingLinks and referrals to state and local area agencies on aging and community-based organization.888-673-0002
Online directory for local offices
Agricultural AidUSDA-Indiana Farm ServiceUSDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.Online directory for local numbers
Agricultural AidUSDA - Indiana Rural DevelopmentUSDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 317-290-3100
Animal Health & AssistanceIndiana State Board of Animal HealthVarious links to disaster resources317-544-2400
Consumer Services/  ContractorsIndiana Office of the Attorney GeneralInformation on price gouging and consumer complaint services.800-382-5516
ContractorsIndiana Professional Licensing AgencyContractor's license verification and consumer complaints services.317-232-2980
Crisis CounselingIndiana Suicide & Crisis Hotlines24-hour toll-free suicide prevention helpline available to people in crisis.  (website has list of other local crisis lines)Emergency: 911
Online directory for local hotlines and offices
Crisis CounselingCrisis Center Line - Northwest Indiana24-hour toll-free suicide prevention helpline available to people in crisis.Emergency: 911
Disaster Specific  Information   
Disaster UnemploymentIndiana Department of Workforce DevelopmentWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance is activated, the agency will provide disaster information.  This assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.800-891-649
TDD: 317-232-7560
Essential NeedsIndiana Family and Social Services: Division of Family ResourcesInformation and assistance in filing public assistance benefits such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food stamps) and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).800-403-0864
Essential NeedsIndiana Department of Health:  Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)WIC (Women, Infants, and Children) is a nutrition program.  Nutrition evaluation and monthly vouchers to receive free supplemental, highly nutritious foods such as cereal, cheese, milk, eggs, peanut butter and dried beans.800-522-0874
Essential NeedsFeeding America - Food Bank of Northern IndianaReferrals to organizations providing emergency food, utility and rental  assistance.574-232-9986
Online directory to local offices
Essential NeedsIndiana United Way 211 - Information & Referral HelplineReferrals to organizations providing emergency food, clothing, shelter, medical, crisis counseling, rental, and utility assistance.  Search Indiana 211 Resource Database.21
Online database
Family & Protective ServicesIndiana Department of Child ServicesChild Abuse Hotline.  Report suspected cases of child a abuse or neglect to child protective services.Emergency: 911 
Family & Protective ServicesIndiana Adult Protective Services Adult Abuse Hotline.  Report suspected cases of adult abuse or neglect to adult protective services.Emergency: 911
Financial AssistanceIndiana Department of Family & Social ServicesInformation and assistance in filing public assistance benefits such as Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).800-403-0864
Financial AssistanceState Information CenterIndiana information and referral services for emergency food assistance and assistance in applying for food stamps.  Online agency search for Indiana.800-457-8283
Text: 855-463-5292
Live Online Chat
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesIndiana Family & Health - MedicaidAssistance in filing an application for medicaid programs.800-457-4584
Health Care ServicesIndiana Hoosier Healthwise for Children (CHIPs Program)Information and application assistance in applying for the State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIPS) which provides free or low cost medical insurance for children.  800-889-9949
Health Care ServicesIndiana "MOMS"HelplineThe MOMS Helpline is committed to improving pregnant women’s access to early and regular prenatal care and connecting them with a network of prenatal and child health care services within their local communities, state agencies and other organizations around Indiana.844-624-6667
Health Care ServicesIndiana United Way 211 - Information & Referral HelplineDirectory assistance for state agencies. 211
Health Finder: 800-433-0746 
Housing InformationSocial - Housing Resource is a non-profit organization that assist tenants and agencies in finding affordable housing for callers free of charge. Using a toll-free number, callers work with trained, bilingual call center specialists to find available housing. 877-428-8844
Housing InformationIndiana HUD - Public & Indian Housing Resource CenterHUD  resources, housing counselor referral, and local office information800-955-2232  
InsuranceIndiana Department of InsuranceGeneral insurance information and fraud reporting services.317- 232-2395   
Consumer Services:
Legal ServicesIndiana Coalition for Court AccessInformation and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster."Materials" listing on middle of webpage for Pro Bono Contacts 
Legal ServicesIndiana Legal Services (ILS)Information and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.Web site for topics and referrals
Legal ServicesIndianapolis Legal Aid SocietyInformation and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.317-635-9538
Roadside Assistance &Indiana State Police - Road Conditions HotlineOnline map of road conditions and closures.  Recorded road condition information1-800-261-ROAD
Tax AssistanceIndiana Department. of Revenue - Taxpayer ServicesState tax information assistance317-232-2240
Automated Help:
Veterans ServicesIndiana Department of Veteran AffairsInformation regarding veteran benefits including pensions, medical care, home loans, burial, and life insurance.317-232-3910
Vital StatisticsIndiana Bureau of Motor VehiclesDuplicate drivers licenses, auto registrations, and title services.888-692-6841
Vital Statistics Vital Records Duplicate birth/death/marriage certificates and other vital documents. Online directory
Vital StatisticsIndiana Health Department - Vital Records The Indiana State Department of Health Division of Vital Records is responsible for maintaining and issuing certified copies of vital records, including birth, death, and fetal death certificates for events that occurred in Indiana317-233-2700

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024