Attached Garages A garage attached to a residential structure or in an enclosed area below an elevated building may have the garage floor slab below the Base Flood Elevation (BFE). Because such a garage is an enclosed area below the BFE, openings are required either in the exterior walls of the garage or in the garage doors themselves.
Below-grade Parking Garages Below grade parking garages are only allowed in non-residential buildings in Zones A1-30, AE, AH, and AO and must be dry floodproofed. The construction of below grade parking garages is prohibited beneath residential buildings. Below-grade parking garages are prohibited beneath all residential and non-residential buildings in V Zones.
Detached Garages Small detached garages for residential uses may qualify as Accessory Structures under the NFIP.
National Flood Insurance Program Requirements
- 60.3 - Flood plain management criteria for flood-prone areas
- (a) (1) - Development Permit
- (a) (3) - Reasonably Safe From Flooding
- (c) (2) - A Zone Residential Buildings
- (c) (3) - A Zone Nonresidential Buildings
- (c) (4) - Floodproofing Certification
- (c) (5) - Openings