FEMA Releases “Planning Considerations for Cyber Incidents: Guidance for Emergency Managers”
FEMA is releasing “Planning Considerations for Cyber Incidents: Guidance for Emergency Managers.” Developed in coordination with the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA), the guide provides state, local, tribal, and territorial emergency managers with foundational knowledge of cyber incidents to increase cyber preparedness efforts in their jurisdictions.
Date: November 14, 2023 - November 29, 2023
Time: 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
The guide is intended to help emergency management personnel collaboratively prepare for a cyber incident and support the development of a cyber incident response plan or annex. Key aspects of cyber incident preparedness included in the document are:
- Understanding the types of cyber incidents likely to occur;
- Engaging service owners and operators;
- Identifying cyber dependent critical services and related dependencies;
- Prioritizing and planning for service and system disruptions;
- Identifying roles and responsibilities;
- Providing integrated communication and public messaging; and
- Developing a cyber incident response plan.
FEMA will host several 60-minute webinar sessions to provide an overview of the guide. Representatives from CISA will also briefly discuss planning efforts for the 2024 update to the National Cyber Incident Response Plan (NCIRP).
Advance registration is required and on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Tuesday, Nov. 14: 1 p.m. Eastern Time
- Thursday, Nov. 16: 3 p.m. Eastern Time
- Tuesday, Nov. 21: 2 p.m. Eastern Time
- Wednesday, Nov. 29: 3 p.m. Eastern Time
If you require assistive accommodations to participate in these sessions, please email us at NPD-Planning@fema.dhs.gov.