Fire Management Assistance
Other Policy and Guidance
This page contains information about policies, guidance, and publications of the FEMA Public Assistance Program, including the FEMA Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide.
Stafford Act Action 705, Disaster Grant Closeout Procedures
FP-205-081-2Stafford Act Action 705, Disaster Grant Closeout Procedures (October 10, 2020)
FEMA is seeking comment on a proposed revision to existing policy FP-205-081-2 Stafford Act Action 705, Disaster Grant Closeout Procedures. This policy explains how FEMA implements Section 705 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) in order to ensure consistent application to Public Assistance Program funding. Section 1216(c) of the Disaster Recovery Reform Act of 2018 (DRRA) amended the statute of limitations in Stafford Act Section 705 for recovering payments made to a State, Indian Tribal, or local government for disaster or emergency assistance under the Stafford Act.
In accordance with DRRA Section 1216(c), the revised policy states that FEMA may not initiate any administrative action to recover applicable payments after three years after the date of transmission of the final expenditure report for project completion as certified by the recipient, and the conditions under which this applies. The policy clarifies when the three-year period starts for both small and large projects. Comments are due no later than December 10, 2020. FEMA requests that all comments are submitted to FEMA-Recovery-PA-Policy@fema.dhs.gov using the accompanying comment matrix included with the draft policy.
FEMA Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide (PAPPG)
The PA Policy and Program Guide (PAPPG) is a comprehensive, consolidated program and policy document for the Public Assistance Program. Additional guidance is provided below. Version 4 of the PAPPG is applicable to emergencies and major disasters declared on or after June 1, 2020. The previous version, Public Assistance Program and Policy Guide (Version 3.1), applies to all emergencies and major disasters declared from August 23, 2017 through May 31, 2020.
Private Non-Profit Organizations
Public Assistance Fact Sheet: Private Nonprofit Houses of Worship
Since January 2018, PNP house of worship (HOW) have been able to apply for disaster assistance as community centers, regardless of their secular or religious nature. As long as they are open to the public like any other community center, they are eligible for the same aid funding as any other community center. This document describes the types of assistance HOWs can receive from FEMA.
Other Policy and Guidance
- Public Assistance Policy (in addition to the PAPPG)
- Public Assistance Fact Sheets, Job Aids and FAQs
- Public Assistance Alternative Procedures (Section 428)
- Standard Operating Procedures and Operations Manuals
- Community Disaster Loan (CDL) Program
- 406 Mitigation Brochure: Mitigate Disaster Damage with FEMA Public Assistance
Disaster Recovery Reform Act
- Section 1215 Management Costs
- Section 1230a Common Interest Community Eligibility
- Section 1235(b) Consensus-Based Codes and Standards
- Refer to the Public Assistance Fact Sheets to obtain a copy of the Disaster Recovery Reform Act Public Assistance Program Amendments Policy Fact Sheet.
Policy and Publication Archives
- 2005 Hurricane Katrina Guidance
- 2012 Hurricane Sandy Guidance
- 2017 Hurricane Guidance (Harvey, Irma, and Maria)
- 2018 Hurricane Guidance (Florence and Michael)
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic Guidance