This page contains information on how you can engage with us using the normal text message functionality on your phone.
Our text message program can be used in two ways:
- To receive regular safety tips for specific disaster types.
- To search for open shelters and open disaster recovery centers.
All FEMA text messages are sent from our dedicated number: 43362 (4FEMA).
Standard message and data rates apply for any messages you receive from us.
Our text message program is not a substitute for 9-1-1. During an emergency, call your local fire/EMS/police or 9-1-1.
Below is a list of all the disaster specific keywords you can sign up to receive bi-monthly safety tips for:
- Hurricanes: text HURRICANE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Home fires: text FIRE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Wildfires: text WILDFIRE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Tornadoes: text TORNADO to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Earthquakes: text EARTHQUAKE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Winter storms and extreme cold: text WINTER to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Power outages: text BLACKOUT to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Floods: text FLOOD to 43362 (4FEMA)
- General monthly safety tips: text PREPARE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- If subscribing to more than one list, please send a separate text for each disaster type you would like to subscribe to. There is no limit to the number of lists you can subscribe to.
- Sending STOP will automatically unsubscribe you from all our lists. You can re-subscribe to the list(s) of your choice one-by-one.
To search for open shelters: text SHELTER and a Zip Code to 43362 (4FEMA)
For example, if you lived in Washington, DC you would text: SHELTER 20472
Before you go to a shelter, always check with your local emergency management agency for availability & services. Searching for shelters will not add you to a list. Think of it like doing a search on the Internet.
Disaster Recovery Centers
To search for open Disaster Recovery Centers, text: DRC and a Zip Code to 43362 (4FEMA)
For example, if you lived in Washington, DC you would text: DRC 20472
Searching for Disaster Recovery Centers will not add you to a list. Think of it like doing a search on the Internet.
You can also use the FEMA text message program to receive a link for the FEMA App for your specific mobile device. We’ll reply with a link back to your phone’s specific app store.
- Apple devices: text APPLE to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Android devices: text ANDROID to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Blackberry devices: text BLACKBERRY to 43362 (4FEMA)
Other Basic Commands
- Unsubscribe (at any time): text STOP to 43362 (4FEMA)
- Get more information: text INFO to 43362 (4FEMA)
- List of all keywords you can subscribe to: text LIST to 43362 (4FEMA)
- For emergencies, call your local fire/EMS/police or 9-1-1.
- FEMA’s text message number is 43362. If you receive a text message from another number and they say they are from FEMA, disregard it and report it to the authorities if you feel it is warranted.
- FEMA will not solicit info, ask for personal information, or ask you to donate money to FEMA.
- If you have any questions about the FEMA text message program, please don't hesitate to email us: email@example.com
- We will never charge you for text messages, but carrier message and data rates may apply. Your carrier may collect additional data elements; please see their privacy policies for further details.
- We will not use your phone number to track, reverse look up, or for any type of commercial marketing.