Exercise Overview and Background
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will conduct Shaken Fury 2019 involving a series of tabletop, functional and full-scale exercises in partnership with the U.S. Department of Energy, U.S. Northern Command, state and local governments, and the private sector. The exercise will take place from May 29th through June 7th and utilize a 7.7 magnitude earthquake scenario along the southwest segment of the New Madrid Seismic Zone (NMSZ) near Memphis, Tennessee to incorporate response and recovery missions.
The purpose of Shaken Fury 2019 is to evaluate and improve the whole community’s response to a “no-notice” earthquake, identify gaps in resources, and implement a coordinated recovery strategy that prioritizes resources required for the response.
Read the Shaken Fury 2019 Fact Sheet.
In this exercise, a 7.7 magnitude earthquake strikes along the Cottonwood Grove Fault, the southwest segment of the NMSZ, near Memphis, Tennessee.
Organizations from across the whole community are participating in the Shaken Fury 2019 Exercise including:
- Federal Department and Agencies
- State and Local Governments
- Private Sector
- Nongovernmental Organizations
- Critical Infrastructure and Utilities
Partners are essential to the success of conducting exercises like Shaken Fury 2019. Thank you to all partners participating in this year’s exercise.
Are you prepared if an Earthquake strikes? Did you know being in a doorway is not a safe place to be during an earthquake? Learn more about how to survive in the event of an earthquake and tips to prepare at Ready.gov and other partner websites below.
- Ready.gov: https://www.ready.gov/earthquakes
- FEMA’s earthquake webpage: https://www.fema.gov/earthquake
- Great Shake Out: https://www.shakeout.org/
- USGS: https://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/preparedness.php
- NEHRP: https://www.nehrp.gov/
- Red Cross: https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/earthquake.html
- Earthquake Country Alliance: https://www.earthquakecountry.org/
- CUSEC: http://cusec.org/earthquake-safety-preparedness/
Visit associated Shaken Fury 2019 websites and social media platforms.
- FEMA (Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook )
- Ready.gov (Website, Twitter, Facebook)
- CUSEC (Website, Twitter, Facebook)
- American Red Cross (Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- Great Shake Out (Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- USGS (Website, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook)
- DHS Science & Technology Directorate (Website, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube)
- Earthquake Country Alliance (Website, Facebook)
Are you from a Private Sector organization interested in participating in SF 19, but have yet to talk to someone about how you can be part of the exercise? Please reach out to the National Business Emergency Operations Center at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: ‘SF19 Private Sector’ to ensure your integration into the exercise.News, Blog Posts, Media
FEMA’s Earthquake Preparedness Podcast
Cheickh Koma of FEMA and Jeff Briggs, the Earthquake Manager for the State of Missouri discuss Earthquake and New Madrid history and preparedness.
Email FEMA-Exercise@fema.dhs.gov to learn more about being a part of SF19.