PrepTalks are given by subject-matter experts and thought leaders to spread new ideas, spark conversation, and promote innovative leadership for the issues confronting emergency managers now and over the next 20 years.
Each PrepTalk release includes videos of the presentations and the question-and-answer (Q&A) sessions, a Discussion Guide to support local action, and additional resources. PrepTalks Discussion Guides are companion documents to the PrepTalk videos. When used together, these guides help translate the research and expertise showcased in each presentation into action steps to improve disaster preparedness.
September 2018 Symposium
The third PrepTalk Symposium was held on September 6th, 2018. You can view the Program here: September 2018 - PrepTalks Symposium. The PrepTalks speakers for this symposium include:
- Morning Session: 9:30 – 12:00 PM
- Jeffrey Baumgartner: Planning for and Responding to Energy Disruptions: Developing Capabilities for the Future
- Vance Taylor: The Whole Community – We Succeed or Fail Together!
- Sean Kevelighan: Understanding the Value of Insurance
- Brooke Buddemeier: Saving Lives After a Nuclear Detonation
- Afternoon Session: 2:00 – 5:00 PM
- Dr. Sheri Fink: Triage, Ethics and Operations: Healthcare Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Philip R. Mann: Public Works & Emergency Management: Restoring Life Line Services
- Dr. Charles “Chick” Macal: Using Complex Adaptive Systems Thinking to Understand Community Interdependencies
- Dr. Yossi Sheffi: Private Sector Resilience: It Is All In the Supply Chain
- Dr. Jarrod Goentzel: Aligning Public and Private Supply Chains Following Disasters
- Rethinking School Safety - Michele Gay
- Safety is Personal: Lessons Learned as a Survivor of the Virginia Tech Tragedy - Kristina Anderson
- Youth: The Key to Building a Culture of Preparedness - Sarah Thompson
- Children and Disasters: Reducing Vulnerability and Building Capacity - Dr. Lori Peek
- The Unthinkable: Lessons from Survivors - Amanda Ripley
- Financial Literacy and Overcoming Liquid Asset Poverty - John Hope Bryant
- The Making of a Resilient Future: Disaster Risk in Developing Countries- Francis Ghesquiere
- Land Use Planning for Community Resilience - Dr. Philip Berke
- Who’s at Risk? Rapid Mapping of Potential Hazard Exposure - Dr. Robert Chen
- Social Capital in Disaster Mitigation and Recovery - Dr. Daniel Aldrich
- The Next Pandemic: Lessons from History - John M. Barry
Please send an email to FEMA-TARequest@fema.dhs.gov with questions or comments on PrepTalks.
PrepTalks are a partnership of the emergency management community:
- The Federal Emergency Management Agency
- The International Association of Emergency Managers
- The National Emergency Management Association
- The National Homeland Security Consortium
- The Naval Postgraduate School Center for Homeland Defense and Security