In his PrepTalk, “We Succeed or Fail Together,” Vance Taylor shares the personal story of a shelter that failed to take into account the needs of people with access and functional needs and how emergency managers can achieve better integrated planning. Taylor explains the importance of understanding the communities we serve and the need to integrate people with access and functional needs within each phase of planning for communication, sheltering, evacuation, and medical needs.
Taylor is the Chief of the Office of Access and Functional Needs in the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services.
- U.S. Census Bureau - American Community Survey
- California Access and Functional Needs Web Map
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – Disability and Health Data
- Department of Justice – ADA Guide for Local Governments, Making Community Emergency Preparedness and Response Programs Accessible to People with Disabilities
- Ready.gov – Individuals with Disabilities
- ADA Checklist for Emergency Shelters
- FEMA Guidance on Planning for Integration of Functional Needs Support Services in General Population Shelters
Vance Taylor is the Chief of the Office of Access and Functional Needs at the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services. He is responsible for ensuring the needs of individuals with disabilities and persons with access or functional needs are identified before, during, and after disasters and integrated into the State’s emergency management systems.
Taylor was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy as a child and uses a power wheelchair. He has worked in Washington, D.C. as an advisor for two different members of Congress, directed security policy at a national water association, and been a principal at a top-ranked homeland security and emergency management consulting firm. Taylor is a nationally recognized public speaker and advocate for individuals with disabilities.
Taylor has a Master’s degree in homeland security from the University of Connecticut and an undergraduate degree from Brigham Young University.