The program’s overall objective is to update the nation’s flood maps. FEMA developed these priorities for partners to consider when joining the program.
- Maximizing limited funding by combining resources, including technical assistance and training, to align state, local, regional, tribal and territorial goals with FEMA’s national objectives.
- Maintaining national standards consistent with regulations of the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
- Building and maintaining partner capabilities through training, mentoring, and sharing best practices.
- Implementing outreach strategies to increase awareness and education about flood risk in communities.
- Aligning mitigation projects and best practices to increase all-hazards protection to communities.
- Supporting FEMA’s Strategic Plan goals to increase flood insurance policies and mitigation funding.
- Incorporating Community Rating System (CRS) elements into mitigation plans and floodplain ordinances.
- Increasing community resilience to flooding and other hazards through communications and mapping efforts.
- Capability through training and technical assistance to communities.
- Using data from local permitting, planning and other efforts to facilitate floodplain management.
- Utilizing local experience and knowledge from partners to facilitate mentoring of partners that are willing to develop the ability to maintain flood hazard information.
FEMA established five main goals for the program as part of the Cooperating Technical Partners (CTP) Program Five-Year Operations Plan for 2017-2021. The goals are data-driven and provide a good focus for the program to improve its effectiveness and how its enhances the customer experience.
The five goals are:
Improving Training and Development
The CTP Training Program offers webinars, online E-learning, in-person training and mentoring.
Evaluating and Developing Risk MAP Tools and Resources
The CTP Collaboration Center houses reports, tools, best practices, training, and other programmatic information. CTPs who register for access to the Collaboration Center get a subscription to the CTP Collaboration Monthly.
Implementing Collaboration Strategies
Integrating Performance Measurement
The CTP Program enhancing its reporting capabilities to better manage and oversee grant performance.
Enhancing Communications and Local Engagement
Leveraging useful communications products to help CTPs with project planning and management.
FEMA is currently in the process of planning the next five years (2022-2027) based on stakeholder input collected through the 2020 Feedback Survey.