Helping the LGBTQ+ Community Before Disasters: Preparedness and Mitigation Considerations
The DHS Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships, Federal Emergency Management Agency, and Out for Sustainability (Out4S) are co-hosting a roundtable with private nonprofits, emergency managers, local and state governments, faith-based organizations, and other stakeholders that work in disaster preparedness and relief.
Date: March 28, 2023
Time: 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Listen to the recording here.
The first of two roundtables will focus on Mitigation for LGBTQ+ communities. In April, the second roundtable will focus on Recovery efforts for LGBTQ+ communities with a report to be published in June.
The roundtable will identify: 1) What are existing activities that incorporate LGBTQ+ considerations into disaster preparedness? 2) What are the gaps in existing activities and 3) What are actionable and creative solutions to address these gaps?
Tuesday, March 28, 2023
2 – 3 p.m. Eastern Time
- Jono Anzalone, Executive Director, The Climate Initiative
- Maggie Jarry, Emergency Coordinator, SAMHSA
- Dr. Michael Méndez, Assistant Professor, School of Social Ecology, University of California – Irvine
- Reverend Naomi Washington-Leapheart, Director, Faith-Based and Interfaith Affairs, City of Philadelphia
- Justin Knighten, Director, FEMA Office of External Affairs
- Marcus Coleman, Director, DHS Center for Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Leo Goldsmith, Board Member, Out for Sustainability
- Reilly Hirst, Director of Education/Training, FEMA Pride Federal Employee Resource Group
- Tyler Atkins, Mitigation Emergency Management Specialist
Join us for the next roundtable in this series: https://www.fema.gov/event/helping-lgbtq-survivors-after-disasters-resp…