Main Content

Do I Qualify for Housing Assistance?

This page contains information about eligibility for assistance for disaster-related housing needs.

To receive Housing Assistance all of the following must be true:

  • Your losses occured in an area that has been declared a disaster by the President.
  • You have filed for insurance benefits and the damage to your property is not covered by your insurance or your insurance settlement is insufficient to meet your losses.
  • You, or someone who lives with you, is a citizen of the United States, a non-citizen national, or a qualified alien.
  • You have a valid Social Security Number.
  • The impacted home is your primary dwelling and you were living there at the time of the disaster.
  • You are not able to live in your home now, you cannot get to your home due to the disaster, or your home requires repairs because of damage from the disaster.

You may not be eligible for Housing Assistance if:

  • You have other, adequate, rent-free housing that you can use (for example, rental property that is not occupied).
  • Your damaged home is your secondary or vacation residence.
  • Your expenses resulted only from leaving your home as a precaution and you were able to return to your home immediately after the incident.
  • You have refused assistance from your insurance provider(s).
  • Your only losses are business losses (including farm business other than the farmhouse and self-employment) or items not covered by this program.
  • Your damaged home is located in a designated flood hazard area and your community is not participating in the National Flood Insurance Program. In this case, the flood damage to your home would not be covered, but you may qualify for rental assistance or fund for items not covered by flood insurance, such as water wells, septic systems.


Last Updated: 
10/02/2017 - 16:06