alert - warning

This page has not been translated into ગુજરાતી. Visit the ગુજરાતી page for resources in that language.

Nebraska State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Nebraska State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilityNebraska Health and Human Services: Developmental DisabilitiesInformation on state and public resources for citizens with disabilities. 402-471-8501  877-667-6266
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilityNebraska Commission for the Deaf and Hard of HearingCounseling, training, communications devices, and interpreter services.402-471-3593  800-545-6244  Online listing of local offices
Aging ServicesNebraska Health and Human Services: AgingResources for seniors and their caregivers.402-471-3121 Abuse Hotline:  800-652-1999
Aging ServicesNebraska Association of Area Agencies on Aging Network of community based services.  Services include care management, chore and minor home repair, congregate meals, durable medical equipment, caregiver support, home delivered meals, homemaker services, legal services, and more.  Online map of service locations by county.See online map of service locations
Aging ServicesSantee Sioux Tribe of Nebraska:  Health and WellnessHub for Tribal members residing on the Santee Sioux Reservation offering: outpatient medical,dental,mental health, and substance abuse services402-857-2300
Aging ServicesWinnebago Tribe of Nebraska-Senior Center | AgingCare.comServices such as meals, transportation, legal assistance, home chore service, visitation, information and referrals, advocacy, case management, etc.402-878-2487
Agricultural AidNebraska USDA Farm Service AgencyUSDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.402-437-5581
Agricultural AidNebraska USDA Rural Development USDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 402-437-5551 
Agricultural AidUniversity of Nebraska:  Flood ResourcesInformation and flood-related resources for individuals and families, homeowners, businesses,  farmers and ranchers.   Nebraska Extension county offices across the state.402-472-2966
Animals/PetsNebraska Humane Society (Omaha)  Resources for pet owners, information about licensing, spay/neuter, lost pets, pet adoption.402-444-7800
Animals/PetsCapital Humane Society (Lincoln) Pet adoption, animal training, spay/neutering.402-441-4488
Animals/PetsCentral Nebraska Humane Society (Grand Island) Pet adoption, animal control, pet counseling, pet licensing, lost pets, "Our Friends" pet cemetery.308-385-5305 
CitizenshipNebraska Center for Legal Immigration AssistanceProviding quality, affordable immigration-related legal services. Services include assistance obtaining permanent residency, citizenship, temporary visas, and humanitarian relief. 402-471-1777 
Consumer ServicesNebraska Attorney General's Office: Consumer ProtectionInformation on price gouging and consumer complaint services.  Scams, fraud, consumer information.402-471-2682   800-727-6432 Spanish:  888-850-7555  Online complaint form 
ContractorsNebraska Attorney General's Office: Contractors and Home ImprovementContractor's license verification and consumer complaints services.402-471-2682 800-727-6432  
ContractorsNebraska Department of LaborThe Nebraska Contractor Registration Act requires contractors and subcontractors doing business in the state to register with the Nebraska Department of Labor.  Online database to search for registration information.402-471-2239
ContractorsNebraska Electrical DivisionElectrician online license search 402-471-3550
ContractorsNebraska does not require the licensure of general contractors. Local license is required for contracts over $100,000.00.  
ContractorsLicensure is required for the electrical trade.   
Crisis CounselingNebraska Suicide & Crisis Hotlines24-hour and toll-free suicide prevention service available to all those in suicidal crisis who are seeking help.  Directory of crisis and mental health services. Emergency: 911 800-448-3000  TTY: 800-448-1833 See directory for additional hotline
Crisis CounselingMental Health Crisis Center, Lancaster County NE24-hour mental health crisis line.  Provides custody, screening, emergency evaluation and crisis intervention to acutely mentally ill individuals age 18 and older. Emergency: 911   24/7 Health Crisis Line:  402-475-6695   General: 402-441-8276
Crisis CounselingBoys Town USA: 24/7 Crisis Line for Youths and FamiliesSpeak to a counselor for youth crisis, or parenting adviceEmergency: 911   Hotline:  800-448-3000  Behavioral Health Services: 531-355-3500 
Disaster Specific  Information   
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceNebraska Department of Labor: IndividualsWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance is activated, the agency will provide disaster information.  This assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.  Online directory of Job Centers.General: 402-471-9000  UI Claims: 402-458-2500
EnvironmentNebraska Department of Environmental QualityProtect the quality of Nebraska’s environment, air, land, and water resources.  Assistance programs, cleanup programs, permits, and grants.402-471-2186  877-253-2603  
Essential NeedsNebraska Health & Human Services System: Children and Family ServicesAccessNebraska Portal. Information and assistance in filing for (SNAP) food stamps, public benefits and economic assistance programs.402-471-3121   800-430-3244 
Essential NeedsNebraska Health & Human Services:  Women, Infants and Children (WIC) Program Nutrition evaluation and monthly coupons to receive supplemental, highly nutritious foods such as cereal, cheese, milk, eggs, peanut butter and dried beans.402-471-3121 
Essential NeedsFood Bank of LincolnReferrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance.402-466-8170
Essential NeedsOmaha Food PantriesReferrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance. Online directory of local area foodbanksOnline listing of area foodbanks
Essential NeedsNorfolk Improved Living Inc Food Bank Referrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance.402-371-2621
Essential NeedsMid Nebraska Food BankReferrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance.308-865-5683
Family & Protective ServicesNebraska Health & Human Services System: Abuse and Neglect Concerns about child and adult neglect, abuse, and endangerment.Emergency: 911   402-471-9272  800-722-1715
Hotline: 800-652-1999
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesNebraska Health & Human ServicesHealth and Wellness information.  Listing for local health departments and how to apply for Medicaid.402-471-3121 
HousingSocial - Housing is a non-profit organization that assist tenants and agencies in finding affordable housing for callers free of charge. Using a toll-free number, callers work with trained, bilingual call center specialists to find available housing. 877-428-8844
HousingHUD - NebraskaHousing resources for homeowners and renters, homeless resources, referrals to Housing Counselors, and assistance with HUD mortgage services. 800-955-2232
HousingNebraska USDA Rural Development Agency provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgage, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 402-437-5551 
HousingNebraska RealtyReal Estate Properties and consumer information.402-323-6500  800-777-5231
HousingNebraska Investment Finance AuthorityFarmer programs; Emergency housing to displaced individuals402-434-3900 800-204-6432 
HousingEnd Homelessness Today:  Metro Area Continuum of Care for the HomelessThe Metro Area Continuum of Care for the Homeless (MACCH) is the Omaha metro area's only collective impact homeless service organization. 402-980-8394
HousingUniversity of Nebraska:  Community Services ManagementHousing services for people experiencing homelessness.  402-472-3479
Identity TheftIdentify TheftInformation on protecting your identity, detecting identity theft, and what to do when you suspect identity theft.800-727-6432
InsuranceNebraska Department of InsuranceGeneral insurance information and fraud reporting services.402-471-2201   877-564-7323 in state only
Legal ServicesNebraska Bar AssociationInformation and referrals to attorneys providing legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.402-475-7091  800-927-0117
Roadside Assistance Nebraska Department of Roads: 511 Information Systemroad condition information.511  800-906-9069  
Tax PreparationNebraska Department of RevenueState tax information assistance.402-471-5729
Veterans ServicesNebraska Department of Veteran Affairs Information regarding veteran benefits including pensions, medical care, home loans, burial, and life insurance.402-471-2458   Crisis line: 800-273-8255
Vital StatisticsNebraska Department of Motor Vehicles:  Driver & Vehicle Records DivisionDuplicate drivers licenses, auto registrations and title services.402-471-3918
Vital StatisticsNebraska - Division of Vital RecordsReplacement birth/death/marriage certificates and other vital document services.402-471-2871

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024