alert - warning

This page has not been translated into ગુજરાતી. Visit the ગુજરાતી page for resources in that language.

Michigan State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Michigan State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesMichigan Disability ResourcesInformation for people with disabilities, and their caregivers on a variety of subjects including benefits, civil rights, community, education, employment, housing, health, technology, and transportation. Help
Aging ServicesMichigan Aging and Adult ServicesInformation and resources for adult services and special programs that complement aging services.517-241-4100
Agricultural AidUSDA-Michigan Farm Service AgencyProvides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.517-324-5110
Agricultural AidUSDA-Michigan Rural DevelopmentProvides low interest or guaranteed mortgages, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 517-324-5190
Animal Health & AssistanceMichigan Humane SocietyInformation on emergency animal healthcare and sheltering services.Veterinary Centers
Detroit: 313-872-0004
Rochester Hills:
Westland: 734-721-4195
Animal Health & AssistanceMichigan Veterinary Medical AssociationVarious links to disaster resources517-347-4710
Animal Health & AssistanceMichigan Department of Agriculture and Rural DevelopmentInformation on animal health and care, farm services, food safety, licensing, consumer services, and disposal.800-292-3939
Consumer ServicesMichigan Office of Attorney GeneralInformation on price gouging and consumer complaint services.Lansing: 517-373-1110
Detroit: 313-456-0240
Grand Rapids
Consumer Protection:
ContractorsMichigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory AffairsContractor's license verification and consumer complaints services.517-373-1820
Crisis support services. Directory of crisis lines and mental health services.888-535-6136
Crisis CounselingMichigan Suicide & Crisis Hotlines24-hour and toll-free suicide prevention service available to all those in suicidal crisis who are seeking help.  Directory of crisis lines and mental health services.Emergency: 911
See directory for local helplines and offices
Disaster Specific information   
Disaster UnemploymentMichigan Unemployment InsuranceWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance is activated, the agency will provide disaster information.  This assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.Employee Claims Line:
Environmental QualityMichigan Department of Environmental QualityInformation and resources, Flint water quality, report environmental emergencies, and recycling guidance.800-292-4706
Essential NeedsMichigan Department of Human Services: Food Assistance Information about temporary food assistance, assistance in filing an application for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and other public assistance programs.855-275-6424
Essential NeedsMichigan Department of Health and Human Services: Women, Infants & Childrens (WIC)Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) is a nutrition program.  Nutrition evaluation and monthly vouchers to receive free supplemental foods such as cereal, cheese, milk, eggs, peanut butter and dried beans.  Online directory for local WIC agencies and clinics.211
See directory 
Essential NeedsFeeding America - MichiganReferral to organizations providing emergency food assistance.Online search available
Essential NeedsThe Manna Food ProjectReferral to organizations providing emergency food assistance.  Disaster survivors seeking emergency food assistance.   Serving Emmet, Charlevoix, Antrim counties231-347-8852 
Essential NeedsMid-Michigan Community Action  
Serving Bay, Clare, Gladwin, Mecosta, Midland, Osceola counties.   Food Assistance, Heat and Utility Assistance, Weatherization,  Preschool services, Clare Action Preschool (tuition based),  Early Head Start,  Veterans support services, Homelessness Support,  Women, Infants & Children (WIC) Clinic, Financial Management & Homebuyer Education, Employment Support, Foreclosure Prevention and other programs877-213-5948
See directory online for local offices
Essential NeedsMichigan United Way 211- Information & Referral HelplineDisaster survivors seeking emergency food, shelter, clothing, crisis counseling, rental, or utility assistance.  Service for all counties except St.Clair.2-1-1
Family & Protective ServicesMichigan Department of Human Services Abuse and NeglectIndividuals concerned with possible child or adult abuse, neglect, or exploitation.Emergency: 911
Report:  855-444-3911
Customer Service
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesMichigan Department of Community Health - MedicaidReferrals to local state assisted medical facilities and information on applying for Medicaid.517-373-3740 
Health Care ServicesMichigan Department of Community Health
Children & Teens
Information on the State Children's Health Insurance Program (S-CHIPS) known as MIChild in Michigan, which provides free or low cost medical insurance for children.   Apply online using MIBridges.888-988-6300
Housing InformationMichigan HUD - Public & Indian Housing Resource Referrals to local HUD Counseling Office for assistance applying for Public Housing assistance.800-955-2232 
InsuranceMichigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services (DIFS)General insurance information and fraud reporting services.877-999-6442
Legal ServicesMichigan State Bar - Pro Bono InitiativeInformation and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.517-346-6300
or 1-800-968-1442
Legal ServicesMichigan Legal HelpInformation and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.See online directory
Tax AssistanceMichigan Department of TreasuryState tax information assistanceTax questions:
Treasury Information: 517-335-7508
Veterans ServicesMichigan Department of Military and Veterans AffairsInformation regarding veteran benefits including pensions, medical care, home loans, burial, and life insurance.800-642-4838
Vital StatisticsMichigan Department of StateDuplicate drivers licenses, auto registrations, and title services.888-SOS MICH
Vital StatisticsMichigan Department of Health and Human Services: Vital RecordsDisaster survivors needing to replace birth/death/marriage certificates or other vital documents. 517-335-8656

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024