The state of West Virginia will receive an additional $60, 979,321.56 from FEMA as a result of President Donald J. Trump amending West Virginia’s 2016 Disaster Declaration (DR-4273).
On February 21, 2020, President Trump authorized a federal cost-share increase for projects funded by FEMA’s Public Assistance grant program from 75% to 90%. This increase allows FEMA to reimburse state and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations 90% of eligible costs of emergency expenses, debris removal and infrastructure repair. The remaining 10% is provided by non-federal funds.
This adjustment will increase the federal share for 971 individual grant awards developed under DR-4273, as well as provide additional funding for the direct federal assistance provided to West Virginia immediately following the declaration.
Before this adjustment, FEMA had obligated $307,455,334.18 to the state because of damages from DR-4273 under the Public Assistance program and $94,195.04 for direct federal assistance. When federal disaster aid to a state meets or exceeds a set amount per state resident, federal regulations allow for the President to authorize an increase to 90%.
Additional information about FEMA’s Public Assistance program can be found at www.FEMA.gov/public-assistance.
FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during and after disasters. FEMA Region III’s jurisdiction includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia. Learn more about FEMA Region III at www.FEMA.gov/region-iii. Stay informed of FEMA’s activities online: videos and podcasts are available at fema.gov/medialibrary and youtube.com/fema. Follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/femaregion3.