alert - warning

This page has not been translated into Français. Visit the Français page for resources in that language.

Alaska State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Alaska State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional needs and DisabilitiesState of Alaska - Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Information on state and public resources available for citizens with disabilities.  Low interest loans for assistive technology, transition and training, job placement services, interpreter, reader, and tutoring services.  Online directory of local offices.907-465-2814
Toll free: 800-478-2815
Access and Functional needs and DisabilitiesState of Alaska - Arc of AnchorageCounseling, training, support services, communications devices, youth clubhouse, recreation services, community living services, and caregiver training.907-277-6677
Online intake form
Access and Functional needs and DisabilitiesAlaska Housing Senior and Accessible Housing AHFC provides safe, quality and affordable rental housing for low-income Alaska seniors or Alaskans with disabilities. Senior and Accessible Housing is available in Anchorage, Cordova, Fairbanks, Juneau, Ketchikan, Seward, Sitka and Wasilla.Anchorage Office:
In-state: 800-478-2432
Access and Functional needs and DisabilitiesAlaska Center for the Blind and Visually ImpairedServices for independent living, employment and visual assistance.Anchorage: 907-248-7770
In-state: 800-770-7517
Access and Functional needs and DisabilitiesAnchorage AnchorRIDESAnchorRIDES is a transportation provider for the State of Alaska, Senior and Disability Services to people eligible for the Medicaid Home and Community Base Waiver program.  Eligibility guidelines available on website.907-343-6543 // 907-343-2577 // 800-770-8973
Access and Functional needs and DisabilitiesDepartment of Environmental ConservationAlaska Relay provides landline telephone access for people with hearing loss or speech impairments through assistive devices like TTYs and Captioned telephones.Relay: 711
Toll free: 800-770-8255
TTY: 800-770-8973
Spanish: 866-355-6199
Aging ServicesAlaska Department of Health and Social Services- Aging and Disability Resource CentersAlaska's Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)  connect seniors, people with disabilities, and caregivers with long-term services and supports of their choice. The ADRC network serves Alaskans statewide, regardless of age or income level, through regional sites.  Online regional office locator.211
Statewide: 855-565-2017 or 800-478-2221
Aging ServicesAlaska Department of Health and Social Services: Senior and Disabilities Services Services promote health, well being and safety for individuals with disabilities, seniors and vulnerable adults by facilitating access to quality services and supports that foster independence, personal choice and dignity.Anchorage office:
Juneau office:
or 866-465-3165
TTY: 907-465-5430
Fairbanks office: 
or 800-770-1672
TDD: 907-451-5093
Agricultural AidAlaska USDA Farm Service AgencyUSDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.907-761-7738
Agricultural AidUSDA Rural Development Alaska State OfficeUSDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 907-761-7705
Animal InformationAmerican Veterinary Medical Association -Pets and DisastersInformation on emergency animal healthcare Headquarters 800-248-2862
Animal InformationAlaska State Veterinary Medical AssociationInformation on emergency animal healthcare and sheltering services.907-205-4272
Consumer ServicesAlaska Dept. of Law - Office of Attorney General Consumer Protection UnitInformation on price gouging and consumer complaint services.907-269-5200
Toll free: 888-576-2529
ContractorsAlaska Department of Commerce: LicensingContractor's license verification and consumer complaints services.Juneau office:
Anchorage office:
ContractorsAlaska Dept. of Law - Office of Attorney General Consumer Protection UnitInformation on price gouging and consumer complaint services.907-269-5200
Toll free: 888-576-2529
ContractorsAlaska regulated contracting professions include: General Contractor, Specialty Contractor, & Mechanical Contractor  
Crisis CounselingAnchorage NorthStar Behavioral Health System:  Crisis Line North Star Behavioral Health is a mental health facility that offers programs in and around the Anchorage, Alaska area for children, teens, and adults suffering from mental health issues. Also provides treatment at the Chris Kyle Patriots Hospital for first responders, military service members and veterans needing treatment for addiction and/or PTSD, as well as for service member dependents in need of substance abuse treatment.907-258-7575
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceAlaska Labor and Workforce Development: Unemployment InsuranceWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) is available, this assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.  Juneau office:
Anchorage Office:

Fairbanks Office:
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceAlaska Labor and Workforce Development: Job Center NetworkAlaska's job bank, resources for those seeking jobs, training, vocational rehabilitation, and public assistance.907-465-2712 // 907-465-2700
Essential NeedsAlaska Public Assistance:  Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP)Application for food stamps, and other state public financial assistance. 907-465-3347 // 800-478-2221
Essential NeedsAlaska Public Assistance: Family Nutrition: Women, Infant, & Children (WIC)Nutrition evaluation and monthly vouchers to receive free supplemental, highly nutritious foods such as cereal, cheese, milk, eggs, peanut butter and dried beans.907-465-3100
Essential NeedsFood Bank of AlaskaReferrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance, food pantry or meal programs, additional food resources.907-272-3663
Essential NeedsAlaska United Way 211: Information and Referral HelplineReferral resource for connecting with a wide variety of vital resources including emergency food and shelter, disability services, counseling, senior services, healthcare, child care, drug and alcohol programs, legal assistance, transportation needs, educational opportunities, and more.211,
or online Community Resource Database
Family & Protective ServicesAlaska Office of Children's Services - Child Abuse HotlineChild Abuse Reporting Hotline, website locator for Office of Children's Services Regional Offices.Emergency: 911
Anchorage: 907-269-4000 Juneau: 907-465-1650 
Family & Protective ServicesAlaska Elder Protective ServicesAdult Protective Services, report of Harm, must be made for any incident in which a vulnerable adult suffers harm from abandonment, abuse, exploitation, neglect or self-neglect. Emergency: 911
In state only: 800-478-9996
Financial AssistanceAlaska Temporary Assistance Program (TANF)The Alaska Temporary Assistance Program (ATAP) provides cash assistance and work services to low-income families with children to help them with basic needs while they work toward becoming self-sufficient. Online local Public Assistance office listing.907-465-3347
  or online application for public assistance
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesAlaska Medicaid and CHIPS (Kid Care)Information and application assistance in applying for the State Medicaid and Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIPS) which provides free or low cost medical insurance for children.907-465-3347
or online application 
Health Care ServicesUrgent Application status for MedicaidPriority Numbers for Pregnant Women and others who have applied and have an Urgent Need for their Medicaid status due to urgent need for medical care.Pregnant Emergencies: 844-231-7880 // Urgent Medicaid status:
Housing InformationUSDA Rural Development Alaska State OfficeUSDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 907-761-7705 
Housing InformationAlaska Housing and Urban DevelopmentSubsidized Apartments, Public Housing and Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8), HUD homes for sale, advice, counseling, tenant rights and protections, housing complaints.Anchorage Field Office:
or 877-302-9800
InsuranceAlaska Division of Insurance: ConsumersGeneral insurance information and complaint or fraud reporting services.Anchorage office:
Outside Anchorage:
Juneau office:
Legal ServicesAlaska Bar AssociationInformation and referrals to attorneys providing legal services to individuals affected by a disaster. Public Resources, Lawyer Referral Service, complaints/fee disputes.907-272-7469
Legal ServicesAlaska Law HelpInformation and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.Online search
Legal ServicesAlaska Legal Services CorporationALSC assists clients who are facing critical civil legal issues ranging from consumer law, family law, housing problems, public benefits, healthcare, Alaska Native law, and other areas specific to veterans or the elderly.907-272-9431
Roadside Assistance & Road Conditions511.Alaska.govRecorded road condition information. Online map with road conditions.511
or 866-282-7577
Online traffic map
Roadside Assistance & Road ConditionsAlaska Department of Transportation: Travel ResourcesAlaska and Canada road conditions, police information, construction, road maintenance, traveler services and visitor information. Air travel, sea travel, commercial travel. 
Tax AssistanceState of Alaska - Tax Division State tax information assistance, tax types, forms, & online services.Anchorage:
Veterans ServicesAlaska Veteran Affairs - Veteran BenefitsInformation regarding veteran benefits including pensions, medical care, home loans, burial, and life insurance.907-334-0874 // 907-428-6003 or 888-248-3682
TDD: 800-829-4833
Vital StatisticsAlaska Department of Motor VehiclesDuplicate auto titles and registration services, drivers license and identification, vehicle taxes and fees, boat registration, permanent registration for trailers and older vehicles. Online listing of office locations.Toll free: 855-269-5551
Outside Alaska:907-269-5551
Vital StatisticsAlaska Vital RecordsVital records include data from births, deaths, fetal deaths, divorces, and marriages, as well as reports of adoption, paternity, and amendments. Certified copies of birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates are available.Anchorage office:
Juneau office:
Vital Statistics VitalChek: Vital Records Online orders for replacement birth, death, marriage, and divorce certificates and other vital document services.Refer to Website

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024