alert - warning

This page has not been translated into 简体中文. Visit the 简体中文 page for resources in that language.

Continued Temporary Housing Assistance Available for Wildfire Survivors

Release Date:
四月 12, 2024

If you received two months of FEMA rental assistance after the Maui wildfires and need more time to plan your recovery, you may be eligible for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance. Under the Individuals and Households Program, if you provide the required documents, you may receive rental assistance for another three months and possibly longer, if needed. 

The rental assistance you receive may be used to rent a house, apartment, manufactured home, recreational vehicle, or other dwelling.

  1. Who is eligible?
  • To be eligible for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance:
  • You must have received an initial two months of rental assistance and used it as instructed.
  • You must be unable to return to your pre-disaster residence because it was damaged, destroyed or made uninhabitable by the wildfires.
  • You cannot pay for housing without assistance.
  • You can demonstrate that your financial need was caused by the disaster.
  • You are not receiving temporary housing assistance from any other source.
  • You are able to show you’re developing a longer-term or permanent housing plan or demonstrate progress toward that plan.
  1. If You Need More Rental Assistance 
  • To receive continued rental assistance, complete an Application for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance
  • Homeowners: If your real property FEMA-verified losses exceed the amount of the initial Rental Assistance award, an Application for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance will be mailed to you. It is automatically generated about two weeks after the initial Rental Assistance award is approved. If the Real Property Loss does not exceed the amount of the initial Rental Assistance, you will need to call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362 to request the application.
  • Renters: You will need to request the Continued Temporary Housing Assistance Request form by calling the FEMA Helpline.
  • To request the form, ask questions about the Continued Temporary Housing Assistance, or get help completing the form, call the FEMA Helpline at 800-621-3362
  • All applicants must submit the following documentation with your completed application:
  • Pre- and post-disaster income for household members 18 and older.
  • Proof of pre-disaster housing costs (copy of lease and utility bills, renter’s insurance, mortgage statements, real estate taxes, home insurance, etc.).
  • Proof of post-disaster housing costs (copy of current lease or rental agreement signed by the applicant and the landlord).
  1. Submitting an Application for Continued Temporary Housing Assistance 

For the latest information on the Maui wildfire recovery efforts, visit, and Hawaii Wildfires - YouTube. Follow FEMA on social media: @FEMARegion9 and You may also get disaster assistance information and download applications at