alert - warning

This page has not been translated into Yiddish. Visit the Yiddish page for resources in that language.

Vermont State and Local Level Referrals

When a disaster occurs, local governments often work together with community leaders and organizations to provide on-the-ground emergency management. You may also reference our national-level referrals list.

Please contact us with questions or corrections.

For reference, the local resources we list provide disaster recovery services in the categories noted below.

checkmark icon

For reference, see the full list of disaster recovery service categories covered in the below local resource list.

These resources are provided solely for the information of individuals using this page. When you go to another website you are subject to its privacy policies. FEMA does not endorse any non-government websites, companies or applications.

Vermont State and Local Level Referrals

Use the "Search" field to look for categories or types of assistance.

CategoryEntityType of AssistanceTelephone Number
Access and Functional Needs and DisabilitiesVermont Department of Disability, Aging Services, and Independent Living
Information on state and public resources available for people with disabilities, older people, and youth services.802-241-2401
Aging ServicesVermont Department of Disability, Aging,  and Independent Living: Aging ServicesServices and opportunities for adult Vermonters.  Care giver support, elder care, day services, nutrition, and senior centers. 802-241-0294
Agricultural AidVermont USDA Farm Service AgencyUSDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) provides emergency loans to help producers recover from production and physical losses due to drought, flooding, other natural disasters, or quarantine.802-658-2803
Agricultural AidVermont Agency of Agriculture, Food, and MarketsCommunity development, water quality, food safety, licensing and registration, and Farm First: Resources and Support for Farmers.802-828-2430
Consumer ServicesVermont Office of the Attorney General: ConsumerConsumer resources and information on price gouging, scams, and online consumer complaint services.Main office:
Consumer Assistance:
ContractorsVermont Department of Public Safety: Division of Fire Safety
Building codes and safety services, trade licensing and certifications, hazardous material response, and fire investigation.802-479-7561
ContractorsVermont does not require the licensure of general contractors.  Licensing is required for plumbing, electrical, HVAC & Boiler specialty trades.   
Crisis CounselingVermont Suicide & Crisis HotlinesDirectory of crisis lines, and mental health services. 24-hour and toll-free suicide prevention service available to all those in suicidal crisis who are seeking help.Emergency: 911
Brattleboro: 802-257-7989
Montpelier: 802-229-0591
Randolph: 800-639-6360
Crisis CounselingWashington County Metal Health Emergency Services: Crisis ServicesThe Emergency Services Team is a 24 hours, 7 days a week crisis intervention and assessment program covering all of Washington County and the towns of Orange, Williamstown and Washington in Orange County. Emergency: 911
Crisis CounselingClara Martin CenterComprehensive array of mental health and substance abuse services to the greater Upper Valley area including Orange County .Emergency: 911
Crisis CounselingNorthwestern Counseling and Support ServicesOffering Children, Youth, and Family Services, Behavioral Health Services, and Developmental Services.  Serving Franklin and Grand Isle CountiesEmergency: 911
 802-524-6554 In State: 800-834-7793
Disaster Specific  InformationVermont Emergency Management (VEM)State Emergency Management updates, notifications, plans and public guidance. Web referral only:
Disaster Unemployment AssistanceVermont Department of LaborWhen Disaster Unemployment Assistance is activated, the agency will provide disaster information.  This assistance provides weekly benefit payments to those out of work due to the disaster, including self-employed persons, farm and ranch owners, and others not covered under regular unemployment insurance programs.802-828-4000
Establish a Claim:
TTY: 800-650-4152
 Existing Claim:
Essential NeedsVermont Department for Children & Families: Economic ServicesApplication for public benefits to meet basic needs such as food, Medicaid, heating fuel, essential care, and other state financial assistance. 800-479-6151
Essential NeedsVermont Food BankReferrals to organizations providing emergency food assistance.  Online Locator to "Get Help" to find food shelf locations or other food resources.211
Family & Protective ServicesVermont Department for Children and Families: Child ProtectionIndividuals concerned with children at risk for abuse and neglect. Emergency: 911
Family & Protective ServicesVermont Division of Licensing and Protection:  Adult Protective ServicesIndividuals concerned with possible elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation.Emergency: 911
Financial AssistanceU.S. Small Business Administration Disaster Customer Service Center (SBA)Low interest mortgages, personal property, and economic injury loans are available to homeowners, renters, and business owners affected by the disaster.800-659-2955 TTY: 800-877-8339
Health Care ServicesGreen Mountain CareInformation about state health, medical, and insurance programs.  Medicaid, Dr. Dynasaur, prescription assistance, Vermont Health Connect, and other state programs. Dr. Dynasaur provides low-cost or free health coverage for children, teenagers under age 19 and pregnant women. 800-250-8427
HousingVermont USDA Rural Development AgencyUSDA Rural Development provides low interest mortgages, guaranteed mortgages, 1% interest mortgages for seniors, loans for repairs and mortgage payment assistance for families living in rural areas. 802-828-6080
HousingVermont State Housing AuthorityRental Assistance program, Section 8 Home Ownership, Managed Housing, and Development Program.802-828-3295
TTY: 800-798-3118
Information & ReferralState of VermontVermont's Official State Website. Links to all State Departments and Agencies.Web referral only:
Information & ReferralVermont 2-1-1Referral for Food, Mental Health, Health Care, Housing, Substance Use, Youth, Transportation, Utility Assistance, Income, Children & Families, Crisis, Basic Needs, Legal Assistance, Re-Entry, Older Adults211
Text zip code to 898211
In-state Callers: 1-866-652-4636
Out-of-state Callers: 802-652-4636
Legal ServicesVermont Bar AssociationInformation for the public, and referrals to attorneys providing free or reduced fee legal services to individuals affected by a disaster.802-223-2020
Legal ServicesVermont Legal Aid Civil legal services for those living in poverty, with a disability, or over age 60.  Housing discrimination and challenges to health care insurance or services.800-889-2047
Legal ServicesLegal Help WebsiteSelf-help general civil (non-criminal) legal information.  Legal forms and guides, sample letters, advice, and popular topics.Online Legal Help Request Form
Tax PreparationVermont Department of Taxes: IndividualsState tax information and assistance.  Personal Income tax, filing checklist, tax credits, tax adjustments, and forms.Individuals:  802-828-2505
Businesses:  802-828-5723
Veterans ServicesState of Vermont: Office of Veterans AffairsInformation regarding veteran benefits including pensions, medical care, home loans, burial, and life insurance.802-828-3379888-666-9844
Vital StatisticsVermont Department of Motor Vehicles: Online ServicesReplacement identification, drivers licenses, auto registrations and title services. Online listing for office locations.802-828-2000
TTY/TDD 1-800-253-0191
Vital StatisticsVermont Department of Health: Vital RecordsReplacement birth, death, marriage certificates and other vital document services.  The Department of Health maintains 2014 to present.802-863-7275
Vital StatisticsVermont Secretary of State: Vital RecordsArchived vital records.  Records of Vermont births, deaths, marriages, civil unions, and divorces dating from 2012 and earlier.802-828-3700

Referrals Last Updated: May 2024