Main Content

What Specific Items are Covered by "Housing Assistance"?

Main Content

This page contains information on the types of Disaster Housing Assistance that are available through FEMA and a list of specific items that could be covered by Repair assistance which is a category of Housing Assistance.  There is a maximum grant amount that cannot be exceeded by individuals.  The maximum grant amount is determined at the start of each fiscal year and based on the consumer price index.

Housing Assistance

Housing Assistance is assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) that may be used to meet your uninsured housing needs after a disaster.  Housing assistance can include reimbursement for short term hotel expenses; money to rent a place to live for up to 18 months while your home is being repaired; money to repair damage to your home; or money to help you purchase a new home if your home is destroyed.  If your area does not have any available places to rent while your home is being repaired, FEMA may allow you to live in a FEMA-owned manufactured housing unit or temporary housing unit (THU); however, temporary housing units are used only as a last resort when no other housing options are available.

Repair Assistance

Repair assistance may be used for:

  • Structural parts of your home (foundation, outside walls, roof).
  • Septic or sewage system.
  • Well or other water system.
  • Heating, ventilating, and air conditioning system.
  • Utilities (electrical, plumbing, and gas systems).
  • Entrance and exit ways from your home, including privately owned access roads.
  • Blocking, leveling, and anchoring of a mobile home and reconnecting or resetting its sewer, water, electrical, fuel lines, and tanks.

Financial grants from FEMA are taxpayer funded and have a maximum fiscal year dollar amount which is tied to the year the disaster was declared.  Once your reach the maximum amount, you will not be able to receive any additional grants from FEMA for the disaster.  If you are unsure of what your financial grant was based on, contact the FEMA Helpline for specific items recorded in the inspection report.

Contact FEMA:

  • 1-800-621-FEMA (1-800-621-3362)
  • TTY 1-800-462-7585
  • 711 or VRS 1-800-621-3362
Last Updated: 
11/13/2015 - 09:03