- FY 2013 Fire Prevention & Safety (FP &S) Award Announcements Are Underway. View Award List
- FY 2013 Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Award Announcements Are Underway. View Award List
- FY 2013 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Award Announcements Are Underway. View award list
- System for Award Management (Sam.gov) registration is required of all AFG Program applicants and awardees. Please go to SAM.gov/portal/public/SAM/ and follow the FAQs and User Guides for help completing the registration. For additional information, please visit our SAM.gov resource page
- August 13 - 16, 2014. Fire Rescue International (FRI) Dallas, Texas
Visit the AFG exhibit booth #5613 at FRI
- Assistance to Firefighters Grants
- AFG Awards List
- Staffing For Adequate Fire & Emergency Response Grants (SAFER)
- SAFER Awards List
- Fire Prevention & Safety Grants
- FP&S Awards List
- Grant Closeout Tutorial
- Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) E-Mail Alert Archive
- Economic Hardship Waiver
- Frequently Asked Questions
AFG Help Desk
Contact the AFG Program Help Desk with questions or comments by calling 1-866-274- 0960 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AFG Program has Fire Program Specialists in 10 federal regional centers. These Regional Fire Program Specialists respond to questions about the AFG program and carry out grant monitoring activities. View regional contacts
Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) Overview
Grants are awarded to fire departments to enhance their ability to protect the public and fire service personnel from fire and related hazards. Start learning about the three grants programs below and utilize the provided resources to help prepare and submit grant requests.
The primary goal of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) is to meet the firefighting and emergency response needs of fire departments and nonaffiliated emergency medical service organizations. Since 2001, AFG has helped firefighters and other first responders to obtain critically needed equipment, protective gear, emergency vehicles, training and other resources needed to protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards.
The Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grants was created to provide funding directly to fire departments and volunteer firefighter interest organizations to help them increase the number of trained, "front line" firefighters available in their communities.
The Fire Prevention & Safety (FP&S) Grants are part of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants (AFG) and support projects that enhance the safety of the public and firefighters from fire and related hazards.
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 (Public Law 111-5) provided the Department of Homeland Security with $210,000,000 to fund the 2009 Assistance to Firefighters Fire Station Construction Grants (SCG). This one-time grant opportunity provided 120 fire departments with financial assistance to build new fire stations or modify existing stations in order to enhance response capabilities and protect the community from fire and fire-related hazards.
AFG RULES And TOOLS
Visit the Rules and Tools page for information about:
- Application Assistance
- Grants Management Assistance
- Alternative Grant Funding Sources
- Environmental Historic Preservation
AFG Economic Hardship Waiver Policy
The purpose of this guidance is to provide AFG and FP&S grantees with guidance on requesting a waiver or reduction of their non-federal funds cost share requirement, maintenance of effort requirement, or both, in cases of demonstrated economic hardship (an "Economic Hardship Waiver"). This guidance provides the minimum requirements for eligibility to request an Economic Hardship Waiver and the process and mechanism for requesting an Economic Hardship Waiver.
Please contact the AFG Program Help Desk with questions or comments by calling 1-866-274- 0960 or email at email@example.com.
GRANTS INFORMATION UPDATES
AFG Funding and Application Schedule
FY 2014 Assistance to Firefighter Grant (AFG) Funding
An appropriation of $680 million has been approved for FY 2014
- $340 million will support Fire and EMS Operations and Safety Grants, Firefighting and Emergency Vehicle Grants and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants
- $340 million will support SAFER grants
FY 2013 Assistance to Firefighter Grant (AFG) Funding
An appropriation of $640 million has been approved for FY 2013
- $320.3 million will support Fire and EMS Operations and Safety Grants, Firefighting and Emergency Vehicle Grants and Fire Prevention and Safety Grants
- $320.3 million will support SAFER grants