The following manuals, guides and reports provide procedures and guidance for dam specialists and dam owners responsible for the design, construction, inspection, maintenance and repair of dams.
- Technical Manual: Overtopping Protection for Dams DVD (FEMA P-1015)
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National Dam Safety Program sponsored the development of a technical manual, in conjunction with the Bureau of Reclamation, to collect and disseminate useful and relevant information regarding the design, construction and performance of overtopping protection alternatives for embankment and concrete dams (2014).
- Overtopping Protection for Dams Brochure (FEMA P-1014)
A brochure that describes best practices for design, construction, problem identification, maintenance, renovation and repair (2014).
- Inundation Guidelines (FEMA Publication No. P-946)
The purpose of this document is to provide dam safety professionals with guidance on how to prepare dam breach inundation modeling studies and conduct mapping that can be used for multiple purposes, including dam safety, hazard mitigation, consequence evaluation and emergency management including developing EAPs. This guidance is intended to provide a consistent approach that can be applied across the country.
- Final Report on Coordination and Cooperation with the European Union on Embankment Failure Analysis (FEMA 602CD)
An integration of the European Community and U.S. Research findings over a 3-year period.
- Emergency Action Planning for State Regulated High-Hazard Potential Dams: Findings, Recommendations and Strategies (FEMA 608)
An Emergency Action Plan developed to help prevent loss of life from dam failure.
- Technical Manual: Plastic Pipe Used in Embankment Dams (FEMA P-675)
Procedures and guidance for best practices associated with embankment dams.
- Technical Manual for Dam Owners: Impacts of Animals on Earthen Dams (FEMA 473)
A manual that provides guidance to dam specialists.
- Technical Manual: Conduits through Embankment Dams (FEMA 484)
Procedures and guidance for best practices associated with conduits through embankment dams.
- Technical Manual for Dam Owners: Impacts of Plants on Earthen Dams (FEMA 534)
A manual that advances awareness of dam safety problems associated with impacts on earthen dams.
- Dam Owner’s Guide to Plant Impact on Earthen Dams (FEMA L-263)
A brochure that describes the dangers of problem vegetation on earthen embankment dams.
- Dam Owner’s Guide to Animal Impacts on Earthen Dams (FEMA L-264)
A brochure to help dam owners manage and reduce wildlife and wildlife damages at earthen dams.
- Conduits through Embankment Dams (FEMA L-266)
A brochure that summarizes the procedures and guidance for best practices associated with conduits through embankment dams.
Federal Guidelines for Emergency Action Planning for Dams (FEMA P-64)
This document is a refresh of the existing Publication 64 and provides guidance to help dam owners, in coordination with emergency management authorities, effectively develop and exercise Emergency Action Plans (EAPs) for dams. The purpose of the guidance in this document is to meet that need. This document is an update of FEMA 64, Federal Guidelines for Dam Safety: Emergency Action Planning for Dam Owners (2004).
Many publications can be ordered from the FEMA Publications Warehouse by calling 1-800-480-2520 (Monday to Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST) or sending a fax to 1-240-699-0252. You can also email a request to FEMA-Publications-Warehouse@dhs.gov. Please provide the title, FEMA publication number and the quantity of each publication, along with your name, address, zip code and daytime telephone number.